• hopilavayi: an erotic dictionary

memories of my ghost sista

~ the dead are never satisfied

memories of my ghost sista

Tag Archives: moll cutpurse

《咆哮女郎》THE ROARING GIRL

22 Thursday Jan 2026

Posted by babylon crashing in Chinese, drama, Translation

≈ Comments Off on 《咆哮女郎》THE ROARING GIRL

Tags

Chinese translation, moll cutpurse, the roaring girl, Thomas Dekker, Thomas Middleton

托马斯·米德尔顿和托马斯·德克尔(1611)

Thomas Middleton and Thomas Dekker (1611)

Translation and Notes by ZJC

剧中人物表 | DRAMATIS PERSONAE
主要角色 | THE PRINCIPALS
亚历山大·温格雷夫爵士 (Sir Alexander Wengrave):一位贪婪且多疑的父亲,极力反对儿子的婚事。A covetous and suspicious knight, father to Sebastian.
塞巴斯蒂安·温格雷夫 (Sebastian Wengrave):亚历山大爵士之子,深爱着玛丽,利用莫尔来实施他的计划。
Sir Alexander’s son, in love with Mary; he uses Moll as a decoy.
莫尔·卡普丝 (Moll Cutpurse):即“咆哮女郎”。她侠义、独立、身着男装,是伦敦街头的灵魂人物。The “Roaring Girl.” A bold, cross-dressing, and virtuous woman of the streets.
玛丽·菲茨阿拉德 (Mary Fitzallard):塞巴斯蒂安的真爱,曾伪装成侍童。Sebastian’s true love, daughter to Sir Guy.
士绅与友人 | THE GENTRY & FRIENDS
盖伊·菲茨阿拉德爵士 (Sir Guy Fitzallard):玛丽的父亲。Mary’s father, a knight.
诺兰勋爵 (Lord Noland):一位开明的贵族,莫尔的赞助者与友人。A nobleman and friend to Moll.
俊美的盖尼米德爵士 (Sir Ganymede):追随塞巴斯蒂安与诺兰勋爵的年轻绅士。A gallant and follower of the young gentlemen.
托马斯·朗爵士 (Sir Thomas Long):另一位经常出入剧场和餐馆的士绅。A knight and gentleman-about-town.
戈肖克 (Goshawk) & 格林威特 (Greenwit):亚历山大爵士的友人,代表了典型的城市浪荡子。Friends of Sir Alexander; typical city gallants.
市民与商贩 | THE CITIZENS & SPOUSES
阿利普特 (Tillyard):一位烟草商。A tobacconist.
阿利普特夫人 (Mistress Tillyard):他的妻子。His wife.
加利波特 (Gallipot):一位药剂师。An apothecary.
加利波特夫人 (Lady Gallipot):他的妻子,曾被拉克特利夫诱骗。His wife, courted by Laxton.
开门那 (Openwork):一位裁缝。A semster (tailor).
开门那夫人 (Mistress Openwork):他的妻子。His wife.
阴谋者与流氓 | THE PLOTTERS & ROGUES
拉克特利夫 (Laxton):一个专门勾引市民妻子的穷酸浪荡子,曾被莫尔教训。A penniless gallant who preys on citizens’ wives; beaten by Moll.
特拉普多尔 (Trapdoor):亚历山大爵士雇佣来监视莫尔的间谍,善于伪装。A spy hired by Sir Alexander to dog Moll; a master of disguise.
提尔卡特 (Tilcart):一个流浪汉,曾与特拉普多尔扮成残废士兵。A rogue and companion to Trapdoor.
科蒂拉克斯 & 汉格 (Cotherick & Hanger):两名贪婪的法警/捕役。Corrupt bailiffs and catchpoles.
探手与扒手 (Fingermen & Pickpockets):伦敦地下社会的各类罪犯。Various criminals of the London underworld.

第一幕,第一场 | ACT I, SCENE I
场景:亚历山大家中,塞巴斯蒂安的书房 (Scene: Sebastian’s study in the house of Sir Alexander)
【玛丽·菲茨阿拉德上,扮作女裁缝,手持一个褶领盒;内德·尼特富特随上,他是个矮小的仆人,肩搭餐巾,手端木盘,像是刚从餐桌旁过来。】 (Mary Fitzallard enters disguised as a Sempstress, carrying a box of ruffs, followed by Ned Nettleton, a short Servant, a napkin over his shoulder and a wooden tray in his hand, as if fresh from the dining table.)
内德·尼特富特【拿腔拿调地。】 那位年轻的绅士?我们年轻的少主人,亚历山大爵士的公子!您是渴望将您的讯息凌空传递,直达他的尊耳吗? NED: (with affected ceremony.) The young gentleman? Our youthful master, the son of Sir Alexander! Do you burn with desire to have your message fly straight through the air and lodge itself within his noble ear?
玛丽【迟疑地。】 呃,只想私下说一两句话,先生,没别的。 MARY: (hesitating.) Why—only a word or two in private, sir. Nothing more.
内德·尼特富特【正式地。】 您的期许必将开花结果!您的美意必将获得最圆满的回报。我会留意,待我们少主人“挺立”之时——也就是说,当他办完晨间私事,起身下床——我便将他呈献于您。 NED: (solemnly.) Your hopes shall blossom and bear fruit! Your goodwill shall meet with the fullest satisfaction. I shall watch my time, and when our young master stands upright—that is, when he has dispatched his morning business and risen from bed—I shall present him to you.
玛丽 谢谢,先生。 MARY: Thank you, sir.
内德·尼特富特【旁白】 顺便告知他,我已为他精心物色好了;既然他已酒足饭饱,这可比餐盘上任何一道菜都更鲜嫩可口。 NED: (aside) And I shall tell him too that I have picked out a choice morsel for him; now that he is full-fed, this will relish better than any dish at table.
【对玛丽】 他可知晓您的芳名?我斗胆请问您的“贞洁圣名”? (To Mary) Does he know your name? May I presume to ask your—virginal and virtuous name?
玛丽 我想,先生,他提过……一些软塌塌的褶领。 MARY: I think, sir, he mentioned—some drooping ruffs.
内德·尼特富特 “软塌塌的褶领”?倘若您不吝豁出那点矜持,移步大厅,那些头发卷曲、粗俗无礼的仆役正享用着残羹冷炙,在那里,您将受到最郑重、最诚挚且巧妙的欢迎。 NED: “Drooping ruffs”? If you would but spend a little modesty and step into the hall, where the curled-haired, unmannerly Servants feed on what they can get, you would find a most solemn, hearty, and ingenious welcome.
玛丽【犹豫地。】 我已经用过饭了,先生。 MARY: (uneasy.) I have already eaten, sir.
内德·尼特富特 或者,您是否愿意赏光移步储藏室,与我们那些侍女共饮一杯醇厚的奥尔良葡萄酒,亲吻那杯沿? NED: Or will you be pleased to step into the buttery and pledge a cup of rich Orléans wine with our maids, and kiss the lip of the glass?
玛丽【更犹豫地。】 还是不必了,先生。 MARY: (more uneasy.) No, thank you, sir.
内德·尼特富特 那么,我们少主人很快就会感知到您的莅临;即刻便知。 NED: Then our young master shall shortly have some sense of your coming—he shall know of it straight.
玛丽 我卑微地感谢您,先生。 MARY: I humbly thank you, sir.
【内德·尼特富特下。】 (Ned Nettleton exits.)
玛丽【独白。】 若不是我这满怀满是苦涩的忧伤……换作从前,我定会笑着看那只装模作样的小猴儿耍他的把戏。 MARY: (alone.) Had my heart not been so full of bitter sorrow—in former days I should have laughed to see that aping monkey play his tricks.

【停顿】 但如今一支毒箭刺在我心口,我笑不出来。那种因轻浮结就的爱,消逝得也轻如鸿毛;但真正的爱,孕育于灵魂深处——像我这样的灵魂,哪怕最轻微的创伤也会流血至死——我奉献的,正是这样的爱。【唱】 “愈是扑灭, 这火焰,愈难餍足。” 唉,天啊! (Pause.) But now a poisoned arrow sticks within my breast, and I cannot laugh. That light love, knotted up in lightness, that counterfeit affection, dies as lightly as it’s made; but true love is bred deep within the soul—and such a soul as mine will bleed to death from the smallest wound—this is the love I give. (sings) The more we strive To quench this fire, The less it can be satisfied. O heaven!

)(*)(

第一幕,第二场 | ACT I, SCENE II
场景:亚历山大·温格雷夫爵士家中的大厅 (Scene: A great room in the house of Sir Alexander Wengrave)
【亚历山大·温格雷夫爵士、戴维·戴珀爵士、亚当·阿普尔顿爵士、戈肖克与拉克斯顿同上。】 (Sir Alexander Wengrave, Sir Davy Dapper, Sir Adam Appleton, Goshawk, and Laxton enter.)
众人【齐声】 感谢您,好心的亚历山大爵士,感谢您丰盛的款待。 ALL (As one) Thanks to you, good Sir Alexander, for your noble and plentiful entertainment.
亚历山大爵士 哎,哎——道谢反而显得生分了。 SIR ALEXANDER: Fie, fie—thanks make us strangers.
戴维爵士 当慷慨铺满餐桌时,说实话,离席时若不致谢,那真是罪过。 SIR DAVY: When bounty spreads the board so richly, to rise without thanks were a sin indeed.
亚历山大爵士 别再谢了,别再谢了。说真的,先生们,里屋太闷了。诸位觉得这客厅如何? SIR ALEXANDER: No more of thanks, no more. In truth, gentlemen, the inner rooms were close. How like you this chamber?
众人【齐声】 哦,好极了! ALL: (as one) Exceedingly well!
亚当爵士 这里的空气多清新甜美,真凉爽! SIR ADAM: The air is sweet and freshly tempered here.
戈肖克 我最喜欢这视野。 GOSHAWK: The prospect pleases me most.
拉克斯顿 看看这陈设。 LAXTON: Mark the furnishing.
戴维爵士 一间非常雅致、宜人的房间。 SIR DAVY: A most graceful and inviting room.
亚历山大爵士 戴维·达珀爵士,布置这间房间花了我不少真金白银。然而,好东西总是物有所值。不——待会儿你们看到我的画廊,那里挤满了形形色色的肖像,美丑混杂,如同阴雨天里的阳光。 SIR ALEXANDER: Sir David Dapper, furnishing this room cost me a considerable sum of money. However, good things are always worth the price. No—when you see my gallery, it’s crammed with portraits of all sorts of people, a mixture of beauty and ugliness, like sunshine on a rainy day;

在一个画框里,成千上万颗脑袋肩并肩地挤在一起,仿佛整个房间都是由人脸砌成的。那么多充满喜悦的眼神,就像新书上华丽的标题,他们的眼睛仿佛在阅读——那些眼睛似乎在转动,在说着一些陈词滥调。 In one frame, thousands of heads are squeezed together, shoulder to shoulder, as if the entire room were built of human faces. So many joyful eyes, like the ornate titles in a new book, their eyes seem to be reading—those eyes seem to be moving, uttering clichés.

而这里那里,当谄媚的耳朵竖起倾听时,一个扒手正像老鹰一样目光锐利地四处游荡,伺机下手。我无需指给你们看:凭着他那副贼眉鼠眼的样子,你就能认出他来。这幅肖像画得栩栩如生。而在下方——鲜花似乎在摇曳,就像一座漂浮的小岛在环绕海岸的海洋上移动。 And here and there, while flattering ears are pricked up to listen, a pickpocket is lurking around like a hawk, his eyes sharp, waiting for an opportunity to strike. I don’t need to point him out to you: you can recognize him by his shifty, thieving look. This portrait is painted so realistically. And below—the flowers seem to be swaying, like a small floating island moving on the ocean surrounding the coast.
【塞巴斯蒂安与格林威特上。】 (Sebastian and Greenwit enter.)
众人【齐声】 这些景致妙极了。 ALL: These sights are wondrous.
塞巴斯蒂安 这位先生,我的朋友,要向您告辞了,父亲。 SEBASTIAN: This gentleman, my friend, must take his leave of you, father.
亚历山大爵士 哈!告辞,塞巴斯蒂安?谁? SIR ALEXANDER: Ha! Take leave, Sebastian? Who?
亚历山大爵士【旁白】 啊,好小子!你的血热了吗?沸腾了吗?被蜇疼了吗?我要刺得更深些。 SIR ALEXANDER: (aside) Ha, my boy! Is thy blood warm now? Does it boil? Hast thou been stung? I’ll prick thee deeper yet.
亚历山大爵士 哦,一个女人! SIR ALEXANDER: O—a woman!
塞巴斯蒂安 一只“肉蝇”!那确实能惹恼任何人。 SEBASTIAN: A flesh-fly! That indeed will anger anyone.
亚历山大爵士 一个卑劣的女人—— 他说,那是大自然用来嘲弄女性的造物;一个不配被提及的生物;在她尚未完全成形之前就已经存在。 SIR ALEXANDER: A vile woman— He said, she was a creature Nature had created to mock womankind; a being unworthy of mention; existing even before she was fully formed.

她既像女人又像男人,既不像女人也不像男人,而且——最奇怪的是——太阳赋予她一个身体,却投下两个影子;不,无论她走到哪里,站到哪里,坐到哪里,她所吸引的目光比任何彗星都要多。 She was both woman and man, neither woman nor man, and—strangest of all—the sun gave her one body, yet cast two shadows; no, wherever she went, wherever she stood, wherever she sat, she attracted more attention than any comet.
塞巴斯蒂安【大喊】 这是谎话! SEBASTIAN: (Shouting) ’Tis false!

塞巴斯蒂安 我被蛊惑了,被我的欲望束缚了……泪水、祈祷、威胁——都无法熄灭我内心的火焰…… SEBASTIAN: I am enchanted, bound in the chains of my desire; tears, prayers, threats—nothing can quench the fire within me …
【下。】 (Exits.)
亚历山大爵士【独白。】 现在展翅飞吧。当你最察觉不到我的时候,我就在你的身边…… SIR ALEXANDER: (alone.) Fly now. I’ll be nearest when thou least perceiv’st me…
【拉尔夫·特拉普多尔上。】 (Ralph Trapdoor enters.)
亚历山大爵士 你要扮演那狡猾的蜘蛛,编织细网去捕捉她的性命。 SIR ALEXANDER: Thou shalt play the subtle spider, weaving fine nets to catch her life.
特拉普多尔 她的性命,先生? TRAPDOOR: Her life, sir?
亚历山大爵士 是的——或者吸干她的心血;拉紧你的绳索去套住她。我会找到法律,把她挂在绞架上。 SIR ALEXANDER: Aye—or drain her heart-blood; draw thy cords tight to snare her. I’ll find the law to hang her on those hooks.
特拉普多尔 一个“咆哮小子”要制伏这位“咆哮女郎”。 TRAPDOOR: A “roaring boy” shall master “the roaring girl.”
亚历山大爵士 上帝保佑你,别浪费时间。 SIR ALEXANDER: God speed thee. Waste no time.
【二人从不同方向下。】 (Exeunt severally.)

)(*)(

第二幕,第一场 | ACT II, SCENE I
场景:伦敦街头。三家店铺并排而立:烟草店、羽毛饰品店、女裁缝店。 (Scene: A street. Three shops stand side by side: a tobacco and herb shop, a feather shop, and a tailor’s.)
【加利波夫人、蒂尔蒂亚德夫人、奥本沃克夫妇各自在店中。拉克斯顿、戈肖克与格林威特上。】 (Lady Gallipot, Mistress Tillyard, and the Openworks appear in their shops. Laxton, Goshawk, and Greenwit enter.)
奥本沃克夫人【吆喝】 先生们,走过路过瞧一瞧!想买点什么?上好的皱领,上好的细麻布,上好的荷兰亚麻!您缺什么,先生们,想买点什么? MRS. OPENWORK: (calling) What lack you, gentlemen? What will you buy? Fine ruffs here, fine lawns, fine Holland linen! What lack you, sirs? What will you buy?
拉克斯顿【旁白】 那边就是那家店。 LAXTON: (aside) Yonder is the shop.
戈肖克【旁白】 就是她吗? GOSHAWK: (aside) Is that she?
格林威特【旁白】 那个切烟草的女人? GREENWIT: (aside) The woman that cuts tobacco.
拉克斯顿【旁白】 没错。我告诉你,她出身可是位淑女,虽然现在沦落到在这儿切印第安烟草叶子…… LAXTON: (aside) The same. She was born a gentlewoman, I tell you, though now fallen to slicing Indian weed …
戈肖克【旁白】 噢,先生,这可是许多好女人的命——丈夫破产了,她们就得靠烟斗重新开始。 GOSHAWK: (aside) Aye, sir, that’s the fortune of many good wives; husband undone, they begin again at the pipe——
拉克斯顿【旁白】 而且说真的,提拔一个女人就是在给男人的脸上贴金;一个飞黄腾达,另一个肯定也跟着沾光。 LAXTON: (aside) To advance a woman is ever to gild a man’s face; if one thrives, the other is sure to prosper too …
戈肖克 得了吧,你跟那儿熟得很…… GOSHAWK: Come, you know the ground too well …
【加利波夫人走上前搭话】 (Lady Gallipot enters and steps forward)
加利波夫人 这话对厨子的老婆倒是个好恭维,先生! LADY GALLIPOT: That’s a fine compliment for a cook’s wife, sir!
拉克斯顿 哎呀,这就像新年历的封面一样通用——既能推算厨娘的命盘,也对全英格兰的女人一视同仁。 LAXTON: Why, it’s as general as a New Year’s almanac—calculated for the cook’s wife’s meridian, yet serving all England’s women alike.
加利波夫人 好了,先生,给您装好了。 LADY GALLIPOT: There, sir, it’s ready.
拉克斯顿 烟斗握在一双俏手里——真希望永远如此。 LAXTON: A pipe in a fair hand—would it might ever so continue.
格林威特 但别用那种方式“享用”。 GREENWIT: But don’t enjoy “it” so.
拉克斯顿 噢,恕我愚钝,先生,我不懂“法语”。 LAXTON: Pardon my ignorance, sir, I understand no French. [1]
拉克斯顿【旁白】 我恨她,但仅仅是因为我想从她那里弄到钱,然后把钱花在那些风流浪子上。她有足够的聪明才智去欺骗她的丈夫,而我也有足够的本事把钱挥霍一空。这样一来,我反而让她保持了贞洁,也算是对那个可怜的戴绿帽子的丈夫的一种补偿:一个有良心的皮条客! LAXTON: (aside) I hated her, but only because I wanted to get money from her and then spend it on those dissolute men. She was clever enough to deceive her husband, and I was capable enough to squander the money. In this way, I actually helped her maintain her chastity, which was a kind of compensation for that poor cuckolded husband: a pimp with a conscience!
【莫尔上,身穿男式粗呢短上衣和黑色护裙 】 (Moll Cutpurse enters in a man’s frieze jerkin and black safeguard) [2]
戈肖克 老天,是莫尔! GOSHAWK: Heavens—it’s Moll!
莫尔【吸了一口烟】 不错,说真的,是极好的烟草。一盎司卖多少? MOLL: (takes a puff) ’Tis good—faith, very good tobacco. What’s the ounce?
戈肖克 她真是世上最疯狂的妞儿! GOSHAWK: She’s the maddest wench alive!
拉克斯顿 她像条肥泥鳅钻过荷兰人的手指一样,在不同的圈子里溜来溜去。 LAXTON: She slips from one company to another like a fat eel through Dutch fingers.
莫尔 奥本沃克老板娘,你这个靠缝缝补补勉强糊口的……你这个藏在衬衫和内衣之间的暗娼——我真希望你是个男人,哪怕只有一分钟;那样我就可以用仁慈来报复你 [3] 现在我的火气上来了,没那么容易平息。 MOLL: Mistress Openwork, thou patcher-up of poor livings, thou stitcher of false skins, thou private bawd between shirt and smock—I would thou wert a man, but for one minute only; then mercy should be my revenge. Now my rage is up, and I’ll not easily lay it down.
莫尔【打他】 要是喜欢这滋味,就再开口——记好这招牌。 MOLL: (hits him) If you like this sauce, call for more—you know the sign.
拉克斯顿 咱们什么时候一块儿出城玩玩? LAXTON: When shall we walk abroad together?
莫尔 去断头台吗? MOLL: To the gallows?
拉克斯顿 我是说布伦特福德或沃尔瑟姆——说真的。 LAXTON: To Brentford or Waltham—honestly.
莫尔 三匹马就够了,只要我自己也能当那匹“烈马”。 MOLL: Three horses will serve, if I may be one of the “jades” [4] myself.
莫尔 那就格雷律师学院广场见。 MOLL: Gray’s Inn Walks.
拉克斯顿 三点钟。 LAXTON: At three.
【特拉普多尔上】 (Trapdoor enters)
特拉普多尔【旁白】 天哪,她在这儿! TRAPDOOR: (aside) Heavens! She’s here!
加利波 【唱】嘿,嘿,嘿,去叼,去叼,去叼……这是一年里最快活的一天! GALLIPOT: (singing) Hey, hey, hey—fetch, fetch, fetch! This is the merriest day of the year!
【众人下】 (Exeunt omnes.)

)(*)(

第二幕,第二场 | ACT II, SCENE II
场景:一条街道 (Scene: A street)
【塞巴斯蒂安上】 (Sebastian enters)
塞巴斯蒂安 倘若人真有自由意志,那么除了运用意志去爱,这自由还能在何处更完美地闪耀?万物在爱中皆有自由。 SEBASTIAN: If man possess free will at all, where can that liberty shine more perfectly than in the act of loving? All things find freedom in love—
【亚历山大爵士上,在远处偷听】 (Sir Alexander enters at a distance, listening)
塞巴斯蒂安【续】 尽管在其他方面被置于奴役的枷锁之下,就连奴隶在爱中也拥有自由。在万千生灵之中,难道唯独我的欲望要戴上镣铐,而众生却能随意漫步? SEBASTIAN: (cont.) Though elsewhere bound in chains of service; even slaves are free in love. And shall my desires alone wear fetters, while all creation walks at liberty?

【旁白】 哈,你离得这么近?那我必须袒露我的“真心”了,让悲伤从后门迎接你吧;好吧。【高声】 假设世间所有的舌头——无论是诽谤还是实情——都宣称莫尔令人厌恶,那又如何?倘若在我爱慕的眼中她显得美丽,我又何损之有?我得到了我喜欢的东西。 (aside) Ha, are thou so near? Then I must speak my heart aloud and let “grief” enter by the back door. So be it. (aloud) Grant that to all tongues—whether in slander or in truth—cry out that Moll is loathsome: what then? If she appear fair in the eye of my affection, what lose I? I enjoy what I desire.

塞巴斯蒂安 从未真正爱过的人,是那些眯着眼、用父亲的眼光去选妻的人。我要睁大自己的眼睛。 SEBASTIAN: They never truly loved who squint and choose a wife by their father’s eyesight. I’ll look with mine wide open.
【莫尔与一个搬运工上,后者背着她的大提琴】 (Moll Cutpurse enters with a Porter carrying her viol on his back) [5]
搬运工 我得把这‘胯下拨弄的玩意儿’扛到您房间去吗,玛丽小姐? PORTER: Do I have to carry this “thing you’ve been fiddling with between your legs” up to your room, Miss Moll?
莫尔 “玩意儿”?你这头只配在猪圈搓澡的笨驴。你们这些搬运工总为别人扛重担,都没工夫给自己捎点脑子。 MOLL: “Thing”? Thou bath-hog fit only for a sty. You porters carry burdens for all men so long you’ve no leisure left to fetch a wit for yourselves.
搬运工 是扛到您自己的房间吗,小姐? PORTER: To your own chamber, Mistress?
莫尔 谁愿意听驴叫两遍?还能去哪儿,你这行走的肉架子? MOLL: Who would hear an ass bray twice? Where else, thou walking shambles?
【搬运工下】 (Porter exits)
塞巴斯蒂安 哎呀,让他们脑子里和背上同时扛东西,负担未免太重了,亲爱的女士。 SEBASTIAN: Alas, to load both the back and the brain at once is too much carriage, dear lady.
莫尔 请原谅,先生,没想到您离得这么近。 MOLL: Pardon me, sir, I knew not that you stood so near.
亚历山大爵士【旁白】 好,好,好,抓个正着。 SIR ALEXANDER: (aside) All right, all right, all right, caught red-handed!
塞巴斯蒂安 我希望能离您更近,而且是以那种使灵魂最高贵部分吐露真情的方式。除此之外,别无所求。 SEBASTIAN: I would be nearer to you, and in that manner which makes the noblest part of the soul speak truth. Beyond that, I desire nothing.
莫尔 先生,我穷得无法回报您,您只能指望我道声谢了。我没有结婚的兴致。我喜欢自己在床两边自由地横躺;再说,妻子应该顺从——但我恐怕自己骨头太硬,学不会服从。 MOLL: Sir, I am too poor to requite you with anything but thanks. I have no mind to marry. I love to lie o’ both sides of the bed myself; and wives should be obedient—my bones are too stiff for that lesson.

莫尔 我非常感激您的好意,正因为我把您当朋友,我才不愿您日后后悔这桩买卖。我现在自己当家做主,对女人来说已经够“男人”了;婚姻不过是砍头易首,姑娘丢了自己的头,却换上个更糟的。 MOLL: I thank you truly; and because I love you as a friend, I would not have you repent the bargain. I govern myself already, and that’s manhood enough for a woman. “Marriage” is but chopping and changing heads: the maid parts with her own, and takes a worse in exchange.
亚历山大爵士【旁白】 这是我耳朵喝到过的、从这咆哮女郎嘴里出来的最顺心的回答了。 SIR ALEXANDER: (aside) This is the sweetest draught my ears ever drank from this roaring girl.
塞巴斯蒂安 这番话足以把任何傻瓜永远从您身边吓跑,而这正是我爱上您的妙处所在。 SEBASTIAN: This speech would fright all fools forever from you—and therein lies the very cause I love you.
亚历山大爵士【旁白】 这逆子又把一切都搞砸了! SIR ALEXANDER: (aside) The villain mars all again!
莫尔 相信我,先生,我也能忠贞地爱您。 MOLL: Believe me, sir, I can love you faithfully.
亚历山大爵士【旁白】 你这句“爱”真该死! SIR ALEXANDER: (aside) That word “love” confounds me!
莫尔 但请把这事再搁一晚想想。只要活着,千万别跑着去娶妻。许多人急着成亲,结果连鞋跟都跑丢了。再会了,先生。 MOLL: But think on’t another night. So long as you live, never run to marry. Many have so run, and lost their heels by the way. Farewell, sir.
【裁缝上】 (Tailor enters.)
裁缝 莫尔小姐,莫尔小姐。嚯——嚯——嚯——嚯! TAILOR Mistress Moll! Mistress Moll! Ho— ho— ho—ho!
亚历山大爵士【走上前】 那么,谁是那个生了锈的破钟?是你吗? SIR ALEXANDER: (stepping forward) Who is the rusty clock now? You?
塞巴斯蒂安 是路德门的钟,先生;它就没准过。 SEBASTIAN: Ludgate clock, sir—it was never right.

塞巴斯蒂安 在这个世界上,老实巴交毫无用处。我要把这个疯丫头引入我的计划,取得她的帮助。她是天生的“工具”,能帮恋人们得偿所愿。我的真爱终将相见。 SEBASTIAN: In this world, plain dealing does nothing. I’ll draw this mad wench into my design and make her serve it. She is a natural “instrument” to bring lovers to their ends. My true love shall yet be won.
【塞巴斯蒂安下】 (Sebastian exits.)

)(*)(

第三幕,第一场 | ACT III, SCENE I
场景:格雷律师学院广场 (Scene: Gray’s Inn Fields)
【拉克斯顿与马车夫上】 (Laxton and a Coachman enter.)
拉克斯顿 马车夫? LAXTON: Coachman?
马车夫 在呢,先生。 COACHMAN: Here, sir.
拉克斯顿【给他钱】 再多给你六便士。劳驾把车赶到马里波恩公园那头,那儿方便莫尔上车。 LAXTON: (giving money) Here’s sixpence more. Drive round by Marylebone Park; ’twill be the easier place for Moll to enter.
马车夫 马里波恩公园,先生? COACHMAN: Marylebone Park, sir?
拉克斯顿 对,顺路。 LAXTON: Aye—’tis in the way.
马车夫 照办,先生。 COACHMAN: It shall be done.
拉克斯顿 马车夫。咱们的车配的是好使的“伙计”吗? LAXTON: Coachman—are your “nags” serviceable rogues?
马车夫 史密斯菲尔德市场能买到的最好的马,我保证,先生。 COACHMAN: The best Smithfield affords, I’ll warrant you.
拉克斯顿 我们能稳妥地超过任何坐着天鹅绒马车、穿塔夫绸外套的浪荡子吗? LAXTON: Can they outstrip any velvet-capped, taffeta-backed gallant?
马车夫 我用性命担保,还能甩开他们呢。嘿,不瞒您说,就是这几匹马,拉过您那些有名的情妇去过沃尔瑟姆。 COACHMAN: With my life I’ll answer’t. These very horses have carried your noted mistresses to Waltham.
拉克斯顿 那就没问题了,它们懂行。 LAXTON: Then they know the way.
马车夫 它们只要一闻到女人的味儿,跑得就跟投胎的魔鬼似的。 COACHMAN: They scent a woman and run like devils new-begot.
【马车夫下】 (Coachman exits)
拉克斯顿 好个刻耳柏洛斯!那混蛋赶起路来能超过成千上万的人,因为别人还在步行小跑时,他早就驾着马车直奔地狱了。 LAXTON: A right Cerberus! [6] He’ll outrun thousands—while others jog on foot, he rides full gallop to hell.
【钟敲三下】 (The clock strikes three)
拉克斯顿 听,几点了?一、二、三……萨伏伊宫敲了三点。 LAXTON: Hark—what hour strikes? One, two, three—the Savoy rings three.
【莫尔着男装上】 (Moll, in male dress, enters)
莫尔【旁白】 噢,我那“绅士”在这儿呢。要是这帮男人跟布商结账能像跟妓女约会一样守时,就没破产者会花一百四十镑去买个法警职位来躲债了。 MOLL: (aside) O, here’s my “gentleman.” Had men paid drapers as punctually as tarts, no bankrupt would bid £140 for a sergeant’s place.
莫尔 市民的腐败就是法警的祖宗! MOLL: Citizen corruption is the begetter of sergeants!
莫尔【高声】 喂,准备好了吗,先生? MOLL: (loudly) Ho! Are you ready, sir?
拉克斯顿 准备什么,先生? LAXTON: Ready for what, sir?
莫尔 那约这场见面是为什么? MOLL: Why then did you appoint this meeting?
拉克斯顿 我想您认错人了,先生。 LAXTON: You mistake me, sir.
莫尔 那我得叫醒您了,先生。马车在哪儿? MOLL: Then I must wake you, sir. Where’s the coach?
拉克斯顿 这是谁?莫尔?诚实的莫尔? LAXTON: What—Moll? Honest Moll?
莫尔 这么年轻就老花眼了?你要带眼镜吗?站住。 MOLL: So young and already blind. Do you need spectacles? Stand.

拉克斯顿 你是想在这儿跟我“宽衣解带”? LAXTON: What—“untruss” [7] here?
【她脱下斗篷,拔剑】 (She takes off her cloak and draws her sword.)
莫尔 对,这就是我要解开的“结”。 MOLL: Aye—this knot must be undone so.
(决斗开始) (The Duel begins)

莫尔 你就是那种男人,以为每个女人只要对你笑笑,就是你手心里温顺放荡的姘头…… 我们女性中有多少人,被你们这样的人用污名来回报她们的好意?难道欢笑就只能和淫欲结亲吗?我要通过你给世人捎个话,并且刻在你的胸口——在我已获胜之处屈服,是卑劣的。我不屑向男人出卖身体,我能让男人为我所用。MOLL: You are the man who thinks each woman that but smiles on him is straight his tame cocotte … How many women have their courtesies repaid with slander by such men as you? Is laughter kin to lust alone? I’ll send a message to the world by you, and write it on your breast—to yield where I have conquered is base. I scorn to sell myself to men; I can make men serve me.
【刺伤拉克斯顿】 (Stabs Laxton)
拉克斯顿 我忏悔了!住手! LAXTON: I repent! Hold!
莫尔 那你死时会是个更好的基督徒。 MOLL: Then you’ll die a better Christian for it.
【拉克斯顿逃走】 (Laxton exits)

莫尔 如果我能这样一个一个地会会我的敌人们,我或许能让他们明白:一个拥有智慧与气魄的女子,不需要靠出卖身体来换取口粮。 MOLL: If I could meet my enemies thus one by one, I’d teach them this: a woman armed with wit and spirit needs not her body to earn her her bread.
【特拉普多尔上】 (Trapdoor enters)
莫尔 你会打架吗? MOLL: Can you fight?
特拉普多尔 不,谢天谢地。 TRAPDOOR: No, thank Heavens.
莫尔 好吧,我录用你了。来,跟我去圣托马斯使徒街;我第一件事就是给你披上佣人的外套。 MOLL: Then you’re hired. Come—St Thomas Apostle Street. My first work is to clothe you like a Servant.
【同下】 (Exeunt.)

)(*)(

第三幕,第二场 | ACT III, SCENE II
场景:加利波家中 (Scene: Gallipot’s House)
【加利波夫妇上,像是刚吃完晚饭】 (Gallipot and his wife enter, as if from supper)
加利波 怎么啦,普鲁!——不,我亲爱的普鲁登斯! GALLIPOT: How now, Prudence!—no, my dear Prudence!
加利波夫人 “普鲁,普鲁”,叫个没完!我看没断奶的孩子哭着要奶头都没你叫得勤。求你别这么黏着我。收起你那副市民的寒酸相;你像头小牛似地跟在我后面咩咩叫,真让我心烦。 LADY GALLIPOT: “Prue, Prue,” forever Prue! A suckling cries less for the breast. Prithee, don’t cling so. Put off that Citizen’s fashion of yours; you follow me bleating like a calf, and it angers me.
加利波 别这样,甜普鲁。在所有客人面前离席,这么粗鲁地甩开我的朋友们——这合适吗?啧,普鲁——啧——过来。 GALLIPOT: No, sweet Prue. To rise from table before all the guests, and so rudely shake off my friends—is that well done? Tsk, Prue—tsk—come hither.
加利波夫人 那你就干脆骑上来吧,真是的。 LADY GALLIPOT: Then mount and ride, for heaven’s sake.
加利波 骑?不,我亲爱的普鲁,那绝非我意,我的小鸭子。哎呀,小老鼠,你心里嘀咕什么呢?到底什么事让你不痛快? GALLIPOT: Ride? No, my dear Prue, that’s not my meaning, duck. Why, little mouse, what mutters in your mind? What is it that troubles you?
加利波夫人 就是你这头蠢驴。呸!你真该去当个接生婆或者是大夫。你反正已经是药商了——但我可不是你的药。 LADY GALLIPOT: You—you ass. Puh! You should have been a midwife or a physician. You’re an apothecary already—but I am none of your drugs.
加利波 你是一剂甜药,甜普鲁,而且越是“捣碎”,就越是珍贵。 GALLIPOT: You are a sweet medicine, sweet Prue, and the more “crushed,” [8] the more precious.
加利波夫人 你非得打探女人的秘密不可吗? LADY GALLIPOT: Must you needs pry into women’s secrets?
加利波 女人的秘密? GALLIPOT: Women’s secrets?
加利波夫人 怎么,我哪怕有一丁点不适,你就垂涎欲滴,鼻子都要凑上来了。 LADY GALLIPOT: Why, if I but ail a little, you come licking your lips, your nose thrust into me.
加利波 那是我的爱呀,亲爱的妻子。 GALLIPOT: ’Tis my love, dear wife.
加利波夫人 你的爱?你的爱全是虚词;来点实在的。我受不了男人对我这么黏糊,婆婆妈妈的;你根本不懂怎么对付女人。 LADY GALLIPOT: Your love? Your love is all wind—show something. I cannot abide such clingy, womanish men; you know not how to deal with women.
加利波 不懂吗,普鲁?哎,我倒是想“对付”一下—— GALLIPOT: Not know, Prue? Well, I’d certainly like to “deal with” it—
加利波夫人 去对付你自己的蠢脑袋吧——呸! LADY GALLIPOT: Deal with your own foolish head—fie!
加利波 哈,哈!她就是只小黄蜂。让她蜇我吧——还挺受用的,这个小坏蛋。 GALLIPOT: Ha, ha! She’s a little wasp. Let her sting me—’tis pleasant enough, the rogue.
加利波夫人 噢,你真让我心烦!我受不了这些系着围裙、爱管闲事的男人。你做得太过火了——简直可怜。 LADY GALLIPOT: Oh, you weary me! I cannot endure these apron-wearing, meddling men. You overdo it—it’s pitiful.
加利波【旁白】 我敢拿性命打赌,她怀上了!我就纳闷,为什么我们市民的孩子在娘胎里就这么难伺候,而他们的父亲大多温顺得像奶牛。——我离开一下好吗,我的普鲁? GALLIPOT: (aside) I’d lay my life she’s with child. I wonder why citizens’ babes are so troublesome in the womb, while their fathers are as mild as kine?—May I step out a little, my Prue?
加利波夫人 去吧,去吧。 LADY GALLIPOT: Fie, fie, fie.
加利波 你不会再被烦扰了,可爱善良的小坏蛋。别着凉,甜普鲁。 GALLIPOT: You shall be troubled no more, sweet gentle rogue. Take no cold, sweet Prue.
【加利波下】 (Exits.)
加利波夫人 就好像你的脑子还没着凉似的。 LADY GALLIPOT: As if your brains were already cold.

【掏出一封信】 (Draws a letter)
加利波夫人 现在,拉克斯顿先生,现身吧。有什么消息?哪个丈夫会怀疑,一个喊着“卖药水”的女人,会在草药里夹带情书给他的妻子?好一条妙计!就算嫉妒长了一千只眼睛,也能全给它蒙住。 LADY GALLIPOT: Now, Master Laxton, appear. What news? What husband would suspect that a woman crying “antiscorbutic waters” should slip love-letters among her simples? A brave device! A thousand-eyed jealousy is blinded by it.
【她读信】 (Reads)
“哦,甜蜜的人儿,”——甜蜜的开头——“请原谅我长久的缺席。尽管得摩丰对菲莉丝负心,我对你将如潘达洛斯对克瑞西达般忠诚;哦,甜蜜的人儿,善待我吧。因此,请为我筹措三十镑;你必须这么做,我急需。我日夜思念着你,苦苦煎熬,直到你那令人慰藉的身影出现。你忠实的拉克斯顿,永远。” “O sweet creature”—a sweet beginning—“pardon my long absence. Though Demophon proved false to Phyllis, I will be as faithful to you as Pandarus to Cressida; O sweet creature, be kind to me. Therefore procure me thirty pounds; you must do it, for I stand in great need. I pine day and night till your comforting presence appear. Yours ever, Laxton.”
【唱】 唉,可怜的先生!说真的,我同情他。我上哪儿弄这笔钱?三十镑?是三十没错,一个3后面带个零。我对他的那个“3”再清楚不过了。我该为他当掉产褥亚麻布吗?如果我的标记被认出来,我就完了;人家会以为我丈夫破产了。拉克斯顿,夹在我的恐惧和你的索求之间,我像根针夹在两块磁石间。 (She sings) Alas, poor gentleman! In truth, I pity him. Where shall I get the money—thirty pounds? Thirty indeed, a three with naught behind; I know his “3” too well. Shall I pawn my childbed linen for him? If my mark be known, I am undone; they’ll think my husband is bankrupt. Laxton, betwixt my fears and thy demands, I stand like a needle drawn by two magnets.
加利波【匆忙上】 不,老婆,别这样——女客们都起来了! GALLIPOT: (entering hastily) Nay, wife, do not so—the women are all risen!

【旁白】 哈!在读信?我闻到了一只鹅、一对阉鸡、还有她乡下亲戚送来的火腿的味道,我敢打赌。【高声】 有野味!有野味! (aside) Ha! what, reading letters? I smell a goose, a couple of capons, and a gammon sent from her country friends, I’ll warrant. (aloud) Venison! venison!
加利波夫人 哦,烂掉你的心肝吧! LADY GALLIPOT: Oh, rot your heart!
加利波 什么信?让我瞧瞧。 GALLIPOT: What letter’s this? Let me see.
【她把信撕碎】 (She tears the letter up.)
加利波夫人 噢,但愿你没长眼睛!我完了,永远完了! LADY GALLIPOT: O that you were eyeless! I am undone—undone forever!
加利波 我的普鲁怎么了?你撕掉的是什么纸? GALLIPOT: What ails my Prue? What paper was that you rent?
加利波夫人 但愿我能把我的心撕成碎片!我的灵魂正躺在耻辱的刑架上! LADY GALLIPOT: Would I could tear my heart to pieces! My soul lies upon the rack of shame!
加利波 你这是什么意思? GALLIPOT: What mean you?
加利波夫人 你就没有别的报复手段了吗,非要在我所有快乐的巅峰—— LADY GALLIPOT: Had you no other revenge, but even in the height of all my joys—
加利波 亲爱的女人! GALLIPOT: Sweet woman!
加利波夫人 告诉我吧!是我们寄养在奶妈那儿的孩子病了,还是死了? LADY GALLIPOT: Tell me then! Is our child at nurse sick—or dead?
加利波 噢,不! GALLIPOT: O no!

加利波 是我在霍克利洞的房子着火了吗?我可以再建,甜普鲁。 GALLIPOT: Has my house at Hockley-hole burned? I can build again, sweet Prue.
加利波夫人 更糟,更糟。 LADY GALLIPOT: Worse, worse.
加利波 我的代理商破产了,还是“乔纳斯号”船沉了? GALLIPOT: Is my factor bankrupt, or is the Jonas cast away?
加利波夫人 但愿我们所有的一切都被海浪吞没,也好过我们两人沦为奴仆的笑柄。 LADY GALLIPOT: Would all that we have were swallowed by the sea, rather than we two be made Slaves to Scorn.
加利波 我智穷计尽了! GALLIPOT: I am at my wits’ end!
加利波夫人 噢,丈夫!我曾以为自己是颗固定的星辰,现在恐怕我要变成一颗流浪的彗星了。噢,拉克斯顿,拉克斯顿——非要让你来摧毁我的前程吗? LADY GALLIPOT: O husband! I once thought myself a fixed star; now I fear I must prove a wandering comet. O Laxton, Laxton—must you overthrow my fortune?
加利波【旁白】 智慧啊,保佑我别陷入疯狂! GALLIPOT: (aside) Wisdom, preserve me from madness!

【高声】 我跪下来求你,甜普鲁。那个压在你心头的拉克斯顿,到底是什么人? (aloud) I kneel, sweet Prue. Who is this Laxton that lies so heavy on your heart?
加利波夫人 我准会发疯的! LADY GALLIPOT: I shall go mad!
加利波 普鲁!你是良心不安吗?是想抢劫我吗?我原谅你!是你在我的床上,把我的软枕头塞到了别人的头下吗?我对所有的过错都睁一只眼闭一只眼,普鲁;那不过是你有些邻居以前也干过的事。那个拉克斯顿是怎么回事? GALLIPOT: Prue! Is it conscience? Would you rob me? I forgive it! Have you, in my bed, bestowed my soft pillows under another man’s head? I wink at all, Prue; ’tis but what some of our neighbors have done before. What is this Laxton?
加利波夫人【受惊状】 噢!他生来就是我的克星!这只你称为“你的”手,曾许给了他;在上天见证下,我与他订过婚。 LADY GALLIPOT: (surprised) O! He was born to be my nemesis! This hand, which you call “yours,” was once promised to him; I was betrothed to him in the sight of Heaven.
加利波 我从没听过这种晴天霹雳。 GALLIPOT: I never heard this thunderclap before.
加利波夫人 听过,听过!在我跟你订婚前,我就对他发过誓。由于他在海外,有传言说他在法国死了。但他还活着,噢,他还活着!他在信里发誓要得到我,否则就把我从这怀抱里撕走。噢,救救我! LADY GALLIPOT: Yes, yes! Before I was contracted to you, I swore to him. He was reported dead in France—but he lives, he lives! He swears by letter he will have me, or tear me from these arms. O save me!

加利波 我的心要碎了!蒙羞受辱,永远完了! GALLIPOT: My heart breaks! Dishonored and undone forever!
加利波夫人 可怜的人儿,你从未度过如此黑暗的一天。 LADY GALLIPOT: Poor soul, you never saw so black a day.
加利波 如果你跟他对簿公堂,法官准会偏向他。没有计策能阻止。要不我就告诉他你怀孕了? GALLIPOT: If you come to law with him, they’ll side with him. There’s no trick to stop it. Shall I tell him you’re with child?
加利波夫人 嗯…… LADY GALLIPOT: Hmm—
加利波 或者说我的一个伙计跟你睡过觉? GALLIPOT: Or that one of my prentices lay with you?
加利波夫人【旁白】 越说越糟! LADY GALLIPOT: (aside) Worse and worse!

【高声】 你这是为了防小灾而招大祸。 (aloud) You ward off a petty ill by calling on a greater.
加利波 那我从他手里把你买下来,用金子塞住他的嘴。你觉得这行得通吗? GALLIPOT: I’ll buy you from him, stop his mouth with gold. Think that will serve?
加利波夫人 噢,但愿能行!他在信里写道,为了找我他已经花掉了三十镑。把那笔钱给他;别跟他计较。 LADY GALLIPOT: O would it might! He writes he spent thirty pounds seeking me. Give him that—stand not upon it.
加利波 给四十也行,普鲁!我们为了财富冒生命危险,为了保住妻子必须做得更多。 GALLIPOT: Forty then, Prue! We hazard life for wealth, but must do more to save a wife.
加利波夫人 三十就够了,好心的;这笔烂账,我们能省则省。剩下的我会用泪水偿还他。 LADY GALLIPOT: Thirty will serve, kind sir; in an ill bargain we must spare where we may. I’ll pay the rest in tears.
加利波 他会拿到那三十镑的。爱情的甜,总是在饮尽苦楚后滋味最美。 GALLIPOT: He shall have thirty. Love tastes best when bitterness is drunk first.
【蒂尔蒂亚德夫妇、戈肖克及奥本沃克夫人上】 (Mr. and Mrs. Tildyard, Goshawk and Mrs. Openwork enter)
加利波 天哪,朋友们来了!来,擦干眼泪,高兴点。 GALLIPOT: Heavens, our friends have come! Come, smooth your cheek.
蒂尔蒂亚德 我没说错吧?这对鸳鸯正腻歪在一起呢。 TILLYARD Did I not say it? The pair are all over one another.
蒂尔蒂亚德夫人 您好吗?哎呀,加利波妹妹! MRS. TILLYARD How do you do? Ah, Gallipot’s sister!
奥本沃克夫人 天哪,她脸色真难看! MRS. OPENWORK: Good heavens, her face is all awry!
戈肖克 尊夫人不舒服吗,先生? GOSHAWK: Is the lady unwell, sir?
加利波 是啊,先生,很不舒服——从没这么糟过! GALLIPOT: Aye, sir, very unwell—never so bad!
蒂尔蒂亚德夫人 她头好烫!摸摸她的脉搏。 MRS. TILLYARD Her head is burning! Feel her pulse.
奥本沃克夫人 妹妹,去躺一会儿;那对我总是管用。 MRS. OPENWORK: Sister, lie down a while; it always helps me.
蒂尔蒂亚德夫人 她是不是胃里敷了什么热乎的东西? MRS. TILLYARD Has she applied anything warm to her stomach?
加利波夫人 没有,但我很快就会“对症下药”的。 LADY GALLIPOT: No, but I shall soon “apply the remedy” myself.
蒂尔蒂亚德 得啦,傻瓜们,你们打扰她了。我们走吧,戈肖克先生? TILLYARD Come, fools, you’ve disturbed her enough. Shall we go, Mr. Goshawk?
戈肖克 好的。 GOSHAWK: Aye.
【将奥本沃克夫人拉到一边】 (Leads Mrs. Openwork aside)
戈肖克 我敢打赌,加利波准是哪儿惹恼了他老婆。 GOSHAWK: I’ll wager Gallipot has got on his wife’s wrong side somewhere.
奥本沃克夫人 她脸色确实红得不正常。 MRS. OPENWORK: Indeed, her face is unnaturally red.

戈肖克 你的脸很快也会变红的。你丈夫在那些小巷子里,心思早就歪了。 GOSHAWK: Your cheeks will soon match her’s. Your husband’s gut is all twisted in that alley already.
奥本沃克夫人 我才不信他会在外头吃“陈羊肉”,家里明明有更好、更新鲜的。 MRS. OPENWORK: I don’t believe for a moment that he would eat “stale mutton” outside when there’s much better, fresher meat at home.
戈肖克 要是我让你亲眼看见他待在别人的“食槽”边呢? GOSHAWK: What if I showed you him “at the trough” with your own eyes?
奥本沃克夫人 那我就以其人之道还治其人之身。 MRS. OPENWORK: Then I’d repay him in his own coin.
戈肖克 那咱们共骑一段如何? GOSHAWK: Shall we ride home together, then?
奥本沃克夫人 一言为定。 MRS. OPENWORK: Agreed—pinky oath.
戈肖克 来,咱们带女人们回家吧? GOSHAWK: Come, let’s fetch the ladies home.
加利波夫人 再见,亲爱的戈肖克先生。 LADY GALLIPOT: Farewell, kind Mr. Goshawk.
【除加利波夫妇外,众人下】 (Everyone exits except for Master and Lady Gallipot.)
加利波 就这么办。我给他一顶“金傻瓜帽”,那三十镑。甜心,高兴起来。 GALLIPOT: So be it. I’ll give him a golden fool’s cap, thirty pounds. Come, sweeting, be glad.
加利波夫人 你配得上我的心;你可是花了大价钱才买到它的。 LADY GALLIPOT: You are worthy of my heart; you’ve bought it at no cheap rate.
拉克斯顿【戴着面具上】 老天,潮水对我不利!让你那药商见鬼去吧!对付这种“城市母鸡”简直是苦役,因为她们的“公鸡”总在身边打鸣;没法回头了,我必须上。 LAXTON: (Masked, entering) Heavens, the tide is against me! Curse that apothecary! To deal with such a “city hen” is drudgery, for her “cocks” crow all around; there’s no turning back—I must press on.
加利波夫人 噢,丈夫,看,他来了! LADY GALLIPOT: O husband, look—he comes!
加利波 让我来对付他。 GALLIPOT: Leave him to me.
拉克斯顿 愿上帝保佑您,先生。 LAXTON: God save you, sir.
加利波 也保佑您,先生——如果您是为和平而来。 GALLIPOT: And you, sir—if you come in peace.
拉克斯顿 您这儿有上好的板烟吗,先生? LAXTON: Have you choice tobacco, sir?
加利波夫人 噢,别找茬了,好先生!我丈夫全都知道了。 LADY GALLIPOT: O, do not quarrel, good sir! My husband knows all.
拉克斯顿【旁白】 该死!她把我的信亮出来了! LAXTON: (aside) Damn! She’s shown my letter!
加利波夫人 假设您换成我的处境,在父母逼迫下要毁掉婚约,且当时还有您死在海外的传闻——您会怎么做? LADY GALLIPOT: Suppose you were in my case, forced by parents to break an engagement, and told you were dead—what would you do?
拉克斯顿【旁白】 这唱的是哪一出? LAXTON: (aside) What riddle is this?
加利波 放明白点,先生。您何必宣扬我妻子的丑闻?她不是已经承认那份先前的婚约了吗? GALLIPOT: Be wise, sir. Why sound the drum of my wife’s scandal? Has she not confessed the prior contract?
拉克斯顿【旁白】 我要是不趁热打铁,我就不是人。【高声】 你这卑劣的女人!你以为我会平白无故忍受这些并装作看不见吗? LAXTON: (aside) Let the hot iron cool on me, and call me slave. (aloud) You base woman! Did you think that I’d endure this and wink?
加利波夫人 我向你跪下—— LADY GALLIPOT: I kneel—
拉克斯顿 滚开,厚颜无耻的贱人! LAXTON: Away, shameless wretch!
加利波 好先生——别吓着她。她是可以讲道理的。 GALLIPOT: Good sir—do not frighten her. She can reason.
拉克斯顿 我一定要得到你! LAXTON: I will have you!
加利波 我娶了她,和她睡过,还有了两个孩子——你还有胃口吗?在我享用过这道菜后,你还要来吃残羹剩饭吗? GALLIPOT: I have married her, lain with her, and begotten two children—do you still crave her? After I’ve eaten the dish, would you devour the scraps?
拉克斯顿 圣母玛利亚!您戳中我的要害了。 LAXTON: Holy Mother! You strike me to the quick.
加利波 您不屑穿我的外衣吧?那就也别“穿”她。您在信里抱怨寻找她花掉了三十镑。我来付。这笔钱能填平你们之间的隔阂吗? GALLIPOT: You’d scorn to “wear” my coat? Then wear her not. You complain of thirty pounds spent seeking her—I’ll pay. Will that close your gap?
拉克斯顿 好吧,钱到手,我立马走。再见了,女人!信任女人的男人可真是幸福。 LAXTON: Very well, money paid and I’ll go. Farewell, women! Happy the man who trusts a woman. [9]
加利波夫人 快看他走了没有。 LADY GALLIPOT: Quick, see him go.
加利波 好的。先生,请进——喝杯离别酒吧。 GALLIPOT: Aye. Sir, come in—take a parting cup.
加利波夫人【低声对拉克斯顿】 你觉得我的计策怎么样? LADY GALLIPOT: (Aside, low) What think you of my device?
拉克斯顿【低声】 绝了! LAXTON: (Aside, low) Perfect!
【加利波夫妇下】 (The Gallipots exit.)

拉克斯顿 那条蛇诱骗第一个女人的诡计,自那以后就填满了所有女人的心;你们永远是骗子。 LAXTON: The trick by which the serpent beguiled the first woman has since filled the hearts of women; you are ever deceivers.
【下】 (Exits.)

)(*)(

第三幕,第三场 | ACT III, SCENE III
场景:霍尔本街 (Scene: Holborn Street)
【亚历山大·温格雷夫爵士、戴维·戴珀爵士、亚当·阿普尔顿爵士从一门上;特拉普多尔从另一门上。】 (Sir Alexander Wingrave, Sir David Dapper, and Sir Adam Appleton enter by one door; Trapdoor enters by another.)
亚历山大爵士 戴维爵士,把你的烦心事说给亚当爵士听听吧;我眼里可正盯着一个欠我重债的恶棍呢。 SIR ALEXANDER: Sir David, tell Sir Adam of your troubles; there’s a rogue owing me a heavy debt in my sight.
【亚历山大爵士将特拉普多尔拉到一旁。】 (Sir Alexander draws Trapdoor aside.)
亚历山大爵士 小声说。现在又在孵什么坏蛋? SIR ALEXANDER: Speak softly. What egg hatches now?
特拉普多尔 鸭蛋,老爷,一只吃过青蛙的鸭子孵的;我已经敲开了蛋壳,马上就要冒坏水了。那孵蛋的母鸭就是那个活蹦乱跳的荡妇,我的好主人莫尔;而那只必须去“踩蛋”的公鸭就是您儿子塞巴斯蒂安。TRAPDOOR: Duck eggs, my lord, laid by a duck that ate frogs; I’ve already cracked the shell, and it’s about to go rotten. The mother duck that laid these eggs is that lively hussy, my good master Moll; and the drake that had to “tread the eggs” is your son Sebastian.
亚历山大爵士 说快点。 SIR ALEXANDER: Speak swiftly.
特拉普多尔 快得像卖牡蛎女人的舌头。TRAPDOOR: Quick as an oyster-woman’s tongue.
亚历山大爵士 这消息可靠吗? SIR ALEXANDER: This news must be certain.
特拉普多尔 准得像理发师每星期六晚上一定忙活一样。疯莫尔…… TRAPDOOR: Certain as a barber on Saturday night. Mad Moll…
亚历山大爵士 啊。 SIR ALEXANDER: Ah.
特拉普多尔 她会不敲门就溜进您的后门。 TRAPDOOR: She’ll slip in without knocking at your back door.
亚历山大爵士 嗯。 SIR ALEXANDER: Hmm.
特拉普多尔 您的房间要变成淫窝了。 TRAPDOOR: Your chamber will become a den of lust.
亚历山大爵士 哦? SIR ALEXANDER: Good?
特拉普多尔 她会穿着件“锁子甲”衬衫来。 TRAPDOOR: She comes in a “chainmail” shirt.
亚历山大爵士 什么锁子甲衬衫? SIR ALEXANDER: “Male” shirt?
特拉普多尔 是的,老爷;其实就是男人的衬衫——换句话说,她要穿男装。TRAPDOOR: Aye, sir; a man’s shirt, in truth—she’s into wearing men’s apparel.
亚历山大爵士 去找我儿子? SIR ALEXANDER: To seek my son?
特拉普多尔 紧贴着您儿子。如果历书没写错,您儿子和她的“月亮”就要交合了。她的黑裙子变成了宽松马裤,胸衣的绳洞变成了扣眼,她的马甲成了紧身上衣,她的裙衩成了老式的阴囊罩——您能抓他们个正着。 TRAPDOOR: Close with your son. Your son’s and her “moon” will meet, if all calendars lie not. Her black skirt becomes loose riding-breeches, bodice holes become buttonholes, her waistcoat a tight doublet, her skirt-slit an old-fashioned codpiece [10]—and you’ll catch them at it.
亚历山大爵士 你确定? SIR ALEXANDER: Are you certain?
特拉普多尔 确定得就像人群里必有扒手,确定得就像妓女在秋季开庭期必有客、节后必得梅毒一样。 TRAPDOOR: As sure as there’s a pickpocket in every crowd, as sure as a whore gets clients at Michaelmas court [11] and syphilis after.
亚历山大爵士 几点钟? SIR ALEXANDER: The hour?
特拉普多尔 三点。 TRAPDOOR: Three o’clock.
亚历山大爵士 哪一天? SIR ALEXANDER: What day?
特拉普多尔 今天。 TRAPDOOR: Today.
亚历山大爵士 去吧,盯紧她,监视她。 SIR ALEXANDER: Go, watch her closely.
特拉普多尔 就像魔鬼等着老鸨断气一样,我会盯紧她;您就管来逮人吧。 TRAPDOOR: As a devil waits for a bawd to die, I’ll watch her; you apprehend her.
亚历山大爵士 她跑不了。你在这儿织好网。听着! SIR ALEXANDER: She won’t escape. Spin your net here. Mark me!
特拉普多尔 网已布好。 TRAPDOOR: The net is spun.
亚历山大爵士 我告诉他们说你欠我钱;咬死这一点,别松口。 SIR ALEXANDER: Tell them you owe me money; hold that fast.
特拉普多尔 顽固得就像清教徒辩论教义一样。【大声】 胡说!我连半便士的绞索钱都不欠你! TRAPDOOR: Obstinate as a Puritan disputing doctrine. (aloud) Nonsense! I owe thee not a halfpenny of cord!
亚历山大爵士 不等你逃掉,你就得被它吊死!恶棍,我要让你透过牢房铁窗看世界! SIR ALEXANDER: Ere you escape, it shall hang thee! Rogue, I’ll have you view through the grate!
特拉普多尔 我这就去,透过酒馆的木栅窗看。伙计!呸! TRAPDOOR: I go to spy through the tavern’s lattice. Fellow! Pah!
【特拉普多尔下】 (Exits.)
亚当爵士 那混混惹您生气了,爵士? SIR ADAM: Has that scoundrel vexed you, sir?
亚历山大爵士 我问他要账;他竟发誓说是我儿子拿走了钱。唉!那孩子往我心头堆满忧愁,直到把我彻底压碎才罢休。 SIR ALEXANDER: I demanded my due; he swore my son took it. Alas! That boy piles sorrow upon my heart until it’s crushed.
亚当爵士 他还那么野吗? SIR ADAM He’s still as wild?
亚历山大爵士 野得像头俄罗斯熊。 SIR ALEXANDER: Wild as a Russian bear.
亚当爵士 但他不是已经离开那个贱货,不去那些鬼混的地方了吗? SIR ADAM: But he’s left that harlot and her haunts?
亚历山大爵士 更糟,越来越糟。他把耻辱堆在我身上,我把诅咒压在他头上。 SIR ALEXANDER: Worse, worse. He heaps his shame on me, I heap my curse on him.
戴维爵士 那我儿子杰克·戴珀可正跟他混在一块儿,在同一片牧场里撒野呢。 SIR DAVID Then my son Jack Dapper will run with him in the same pasture.
亚当爵士 您儿子也变坏了吗,爵士? SIR ADAM: Your son’s gone bad, too, sir?
戴维爵士 坏到无以复加。您的塞巴斯蒂安只迷恋一个荡妇,我的那个却迷恋上千个:吵闹的琴师、烟草、烈酒、姘头,还有一个肯让他赊账的布商,再加上骰子,还有一只会叼鸭子的水猎犬。啊,真该把这些东西全弄上床陪他!只要他钱袋一响,那帮“咆哮小子”、剑客和暗娼就跟在他屁股后头——全都是亚当从未命名的野兽。这些蚂蟥吸干我儿子的血;等他被榨干了,他们就靠吞云吐雾过活。 SIR DAVID: As bad as wickedness can make him. Your Sebastian is in love with one harlot; mine with a thousand: noisy fiddlers, tobacco, drink, a paramour, a clothier who’ll extend credit, dice, and a duck-hunting spaniel. Ah, lay these in bed with him! When his purse jingles, the roaring lads trail him, with swordsmen and paramours, beasts Adam has never named. Leeches suck my son dry; once drained, they live on smoke and steam.
亚历山大爵士 烟草? SIR ALEXANDER: Tobacco?
戴维爵士 对。但我脑子里正盘算着一架风车,要把我儿子的蠢行磨成粉末,让他要么学乖,要么干脆当个彻底的傻瓜;请二位指点我。 SIR DAVID: Aye. But my mind spins like a windmill, to grind my son’s folly to powder, so he may grow wise or remain a complete fool; I seek your counsel.
亚历山大爵士、亚当爵士【齐声】 乐意效劳,好戴维爵士。 SIR ALEXANDER & SIR ADAM: Gladly, good Sir David.
戴维爵士 这就是我为这只“山鹬”设下的圈套:我用个假名、瞒着他,在债务人监狱(Counter)立了案,要逮捕杰克·戴珀。 SIR DAVID: Here’s the snare I set for this sandpiper: under a false name, unbeknownst to him, a case lodged in the debtors’ prison to seize Jack Dapper.
亚历山大爵士、亚当爵士【齐声】 哈,哈!嘿! SIR ALEXANDER & SIR ADAM: Ha, ha! Hey!
戴维爵士 你们觉得债务人监狱还驯不服他? SIR DAVID: Think the debtors’ prison cannot tame him?
亚当爵士 驯不服?能,要是关得久,连他的心都能治碎。 SIR ADAM: Cannot? Yes, if held long enough, it will break his heart.
戴维爵士 我保证能让他唱起监狱里的“高音”。SIR DAVID: I guarantee he’ll “hit” prison-high notes. [12]
亚当爵士 没别的方法更能驯服他了;在那儿他才能明白钱是什么,该怎么花。SIR ADAM: No other means tames him so; there he’ll learn what money is and how to spend it.
戴维爵士 他在那儿可得戴上嚼子了。 SIR DAVID: He’ll be muzzled there.
亚历山大爵士 是啊,尽管他还不知道怎么悔改。贝德拉姆疯人院一年治好的疯子,还比不上一座债务人监狱治好的多;人们在那儿为自己的“小聪明”付出的代价比哪儿都高。债务人监狱——啊,它就是一所大学!谁看不出来?学者在那儿钻研,囚犯也在这儿获得学位。学者先学逻辑和修辞;囚犯也一样。刚进去时,他用甜言蜜语说服、恳求,希望能跟个不长虱子的人同住,睡在干净的牢房;但一旦没钱了,他就得靠微妙的逻辑和精巧的诡辩,去哄骗看守给他赊账。 SIR ALEXANDER: Aye, yet he knows not reform. A madman cured in Bedlam in a year is less tamed than one in a debtors’ prison; the price of cleverness there exceeds any place. Debtors’ prison—ah, it’s a university! Can’t you see? Scholars study there; here men earn degrees in the same courses. Scholars learn logic and rhetoric; so too the prisoners. Upon entry, he sweet-talks, pleads, to share a lice-free cell, clean sheets; but lacking coin, he cajoles the warders into credit with subtle reasoning and clever sophistry.
亚当爵士 要是他们给赊呢? SIR ADAM: And if they grant him credit?
亚历山大爵士 那他就算毕业了。 SIR ALEXANDER: Then he graduates.
戴维爵士 要是他们不给呢? SIR DAVID: And if they do not?
亚历山大爵士 那他就是个毕不了业的新生和傻子,会被从“看守房”赶到“两便士房”,甚至扔进地牢。 SIR ALEXANDER: Then he remains a freshman and a fool, forever ungraduated, shifted from the “warder’s side” to the “twopenny ward,” or thrown in the dungeon.
亚当爵士 那囚犯什么时候能晋升呢? SIR ADAM: When, then, does the prisoner advance?
亚历山大爵士 当他能带着钱财,和心狠手辣的债主们辩论并全身而退时,他就是硕士了。戴维爵士,送您儿子去“伍德街学院”深造吧;绅士在别处学不到比这更多的东西了。 SIR ALEXANDER: When he, with gold in mind, debates with hard-hearted creditors and emerges unscathed, he becomes a master. Sir David, send your son to “Wood Street College” [13]; gentlemen learn no more elsewhere.
戴维爵士 那儿的浪荡子们学习确实用功。 SIR DAVID: The rakes there study diligently.
亚历山大爵士 没错,为了搞钱嘛。 SIR ALEXANDER: Indeed, to get money.
戴维爵士 他这回跑不掉了;多谢指点。我已经派人去请一对“熊”来拍拍他的肩膀了。 SIR DAVID: He cannot escape; thanks, thanks. I’ve sent for a pair of “bears” [14] to tap him.
【法警科蒂拉克斯与执达吏汉格上。】 (Bailiff Cotilax and Officer Hanger enter.)
亚当爵士 那边来的是谁? SIR ADAM: Who comes there?
戴维爵士 看着像秃鹫;应该是他们。 SIR DAVID: They look like vultures; it should be them.
亚历山大爵士 我认得他们;那是法警,爵士。我们先失陪了。 SIR ALEXANDER: I know them; they are bailiffs, sir. We’ll take our leave.
戴维爵士 我的好爵士们,请便;你们瞧,我现在被鬼魂缠上了。 SIR DAVID: My good sirs, proceed; you see, I am haunted now.
亚历山大爵士、亚当爵士【齐声】 告辞了,爵士。 SIR ALEXANDER & SIR ADAM: Farewell, sir.
【亚历山大爵士与亚当爵士下。】 (Sir Alexander and Sir Adam exit.)
科蒂拉克斯【对汉格旁白】 那个老瘪脸肯定就是那家伙描述的人。 COTILAX: (Aside to Hanger) That old sourpuss must be the man described.

【高声】 您好,先生。 (aloud) Good day, sir.
戴维爵士 过来,你们这两个疯混蛋。我的人没告诉你们我在这儿等你们吗? SIR DAVID: Come hither, you two mad knaves. Didn’t my man tell you I’ve been waiting for you here?
科蒂拉克斯 一个穿蓝外套的伙计告诉我们,有位老先生会在这儿等候,这可违反了我们的誓言——因为我们要看守这城里的每一个恶棍。 COTILAX: A fellow in a blue coat, sir, told us an older gentleman would wait here, which breaks our oath, for we watch every rogue in the city.
戴维爵士 那你们得看守上万人了!老实人,你叫什么名字? SIR DAVID: Then you’ll guard ten thousand! What’s your name, honest man?
科蒂拉克斯 法警“科蒂拉克斯”,先生。 COTILAX: “Cotilax.” Bailiff Cotilax, sir. [15]
戴维爵士 对法警来说这真是个好名字。当那些挥霍无度的恶棍债台高筑时,法警就是法律的利器。要是你们不“砍”他们,市民们可就垮了。你住在霍尔本附近吗,科蒂拉克斯? SIR DAVID: That’s a good name for a bailiff. Bailiffs are the sharp edge of the law when those extravagant villains run up huge debts. If you don’t “cut them down,” the citizens will be ruined. Do you live near Holborn, Cortilax?
科蒂拉克斯 那是我的辖区,先生;我主要在那一带“作法”。 COTILAX: That’s my ward, sir; I mainly “operate” in that quarter. [16]
戴维爵士 那这个“雏儿”又是谁? SIR DAVID: And that green cub, who is he?
汉格 一窝的。他是执达吏,先生;我叫“汉格”。 HANGER: One of his pack. His officer, sir; I am “Hanger.” [17]
戴维爵士 执达吏汉格。肯定是同一把剪刀裁出了你们两人的外衣。你们的名字对绅士们的喉咙来说可是危险透顶;你们是压在绅士背上的沉重负担。好货色啊:一个是汉格,一个是科蒂拉克斯。 SIR DAVID: Officer Hanger, surely the same scissors cut both your coats. Your names are dangerous in a gentleman’s throat; you’re burdens on his back. Fine fellows: this is Hanger, that Cotilax.
科蒂拉克斯 我们和别人没什么两样,先生。我看那些摆出诚实虔诚面孔的人,只要爪子够得着,照样见血。这世上活着的不过是大鱼和小鱼,互相吞噬。有些人吞掉整个人;我们法警只管抓肩膀那块。人们叫我们恶棍和猎犬,但往往指使我们的人,一年祸害的羊羔比我们七年害的还多。 COTILAX: We’re like any others, sir. I say, those posing honest and devout, when claws reach their liking, shed blood. The living are but great fish and small, devouring each other. Some consume the whole man; we bailiffs care only for the shoulders. They call us rogues and hounds, yet oft our masters ruin more lambs in a year than we in seven.
戴维爵士 说得像个高贵的 刻耳柏洛斯。案子立了吗? SIR DAVID: Spoken like a noble Cerberus. Case filed?
汉格 他的名字已经记在“不信者名册”上了。 HANGER: His name is on the “Register of Unbelievers.”
戴维爵士 什么名册? SIR DAVID: Register?
科蒂拉克斯 就是记所有囚犯名字的册子,里面四十个人里没一个相信自己会关很久。 COTILAX: A book of all prisoners’ names, where not one in forty believes he’ll stay long.
戴维爵士 对他狠点,使出你们所有的手段。 SIR DAVID: Be harsh with him; as harsh as you can.
科蒂拉克斯、汉格【齐声】 哦,没问题,先生! COTILAX & HANGER: (as one) Oh, sir!
戴维爵士 你们认识那个叫杰克·戴珀的败家子吧? SIR DAVID: Do you know that spendthrift, Jack Dapper?
科蒂拉克斯 认识,认识。那个傻瓜?熟得就像认识我自己的部下。 COTILAX: Know him, know him, sir. That fool? Familiar as my own officer.
戴维爵士 那你们也认识他父亲戴维·戴珀爵士喽? SIR DAVID: And his father, Sir David Dapper?
科蒂拉克斯 哼,要是杰克知道他老爹的皮能换钱,等老头一死,他准会剥下来卖给巴托罗缪集市,蒙成鼓给小孩敲。 COTILAX: If he knew his father’s hide fetches coin, once dead, he’d flay it to sell at Bartholomew Fair to drum for children.
戴维爵士【旁白】 这些癞蛤蟆,竟敢当面喷毒液!【高声】 看到了吗,我诚实的恶棍们?那边那条细狗就是他的猎伴。杰克·戴珀马上会从那家酒馆里冲出来。快去!快去!逮住他,把他送进大牢。 SIR DAVID: (aside) These toads dare spit venom in one’s face! (aloud) See, my honest rogues? That slim hound is his hunting companion. Jack Dapper will burst from that tavern. Hie! Hie! Prison him—seize him!
科蒂拉克斯、汉格 我们会从背后擒住他的,先生。 COTILAX & HANGER: We’ll take him from behind, sir.
戴维爵士 不准保释;给他的粥里加点料。列队,交叉包抄。 SIR DAVID: No bail; spice his porridge, line in pairs, crosswise.
科蒂拉克斯、汉格 妙极了,先生。 COTILAX & HANGER: Excellent, sir.
戴维爵士 大喊:“抄家伙,逮住他,逮住他!” SIR DAVID: Cry out: “Seize him! Seize him! Seize him!”
科蒂拉克斯、汉格 像这样吗,先生? COTILAX & HANGER: Like so, sir?
戴维爵士 对,小子,就那样,快去!盯紧你们的猎物,我真正的英格兰狼们;我先闪人了。 SIR DAVID: There, boy, there, boy, go swiftly. Watch your prey, my true English wolf; I vanish now.
【戴维爵士下】 (Exits)
科蒂拉克斯 这老家伙准是哪个法警头子生的,我敢拿命打赌!躲起来。 COTILAX; This old fellow must be sired by some bailiff-chief; I stake my life! Hide!
汉格 伏击就设在一个地方吗? HANGER: Ambush set in the open?
科蒂拉克斯 不,你躲到那个角落去。 COTILAX: Nay, hide in that corner.
【莫尔与特拉普多尔上。】 (Moll and Trapdoor enter.)
莫尔 拉尔夫? MOLL: Ralph?
特拉普多尔 我英勇的“司令官”有何吩咐? TRAPDOOR: What orders, my valiant “commander”?
莫尔 这霍尔本街可真是条吵吵闹闹的街。 MOLL: Holborn Street is a noisy, bustling street.
特拉普多尔 那是因为律师们老在这儿晃悠。 TRAPDOOR: That’s because the lawyers are always walking here.
莫尔 这儿挤来挤去的,好像遇到的每个人都喝醉了在摇晃。 MOLL: It’s crowded, jostling, as if every person we meet is drunk and staggering.
特拉普多尔 站直了,小姐。没闻到一股腐肉味儿吗? TRAPDOOR: Stand straight, miss. Do you smell no carrion?
莫尔 腐肉?没有,不过我瞧见乌鸦了。 MOLL: Carrion? No, but I see crows.
特拉普多尔 马上就会有个虚弱的小花花公子要经受“分娩之痛”了;这些“接生婆”要把他接生到债务人监狱里去——那儿躺满了大腹便便的欠债人。 TRAPDOOR: Soon a poor, feeble young gentleman shall endure labor pains; these “midwives” [18] must deliver him to the debtors’ prison, full of debt-ridden, bulging-bellied folks awaiting birth.
莫尔 站直。 MOLL: Stand upright.
特拉普多尔 直得像您新立的五月柱。 TRAPDOOR: As straight as your new Maypole.
汉格 嘘,在那。 HANGER: Shh, beep.
科蒂拉克斯 哼,还没到时候。 COTILAX: Hmph, no.
莫尔 偷窥?猎人们,就算费点劲,我也要搅黄你们的局。他们看起来活像两个得了病的麦芽工,在打霜的早晨裹着斗篷进城。 MOLL: Peeking? Hunters, I’ll foil your game, even with effort. They look like two sickly maltsters, cloaked, heading to London on a frosty morning.
特拉普多尔 有动静,队长;“熊”朝木桩来了。 TRAPDOOR: Something’s up, captain; the “bears” approach the post.
【杰克·戴珀与迪克上。】 (Jack Dapper and Dick enter.)
莫尔 应该是,因为“狗”已经急着想挣脱锁链了。 MOLL: Likely, for the “hounds” are eager to be unleashed.
汉格 哔。 HANGER: Beep.
科蒂拉克斯 哼。 COTILAX: Hmph.
莫尔 听着,特拉普多尔,跟着你的主子。 MOLL: Hear me, Trapdoor, follow your master.
杰克 迪克? JACK: Dick?
迪克 少爷? DICK: Master?
杰克 小子,你见过像我这么蠢的人吗? JACK: Ever see a fool like me, lad?
迪克 说实话,没有,少爷。输光了所有的钱,身上居然还带着灌铅骰子!嘿,这就像我前天看见的一个大块头:明明拿着好剑和盾牌,却被个屠夫用木棍揍了一顿,还没见血呢。 DICK: Truth, no, master. Lost all the money, yet carries loaded dice! Like a fellow I saw two days past: a strong man with fine sword and round shield, yet thrashed by a butcher’s club—no blood seen.
莫尔 嘿,诚实的法警们—— MOLL: Honest bailiffs—
特拉普多尔 快跑,快跑,戴珀少爷!不然您就被逮住了! TRAPDOOR: Run, run, Master Dapper! Or you’ll be caught!
杰克 快跑,迪克,拔剑! JACK: Run, Dick, draw your sword!
迪克 跑,少爷,迪克在后头跟着呢! DICK: Run, master, Dick is at your heels!
【杰克·戴珀与迪克下。】 (Jack Dapper and Dick exit.)
科蒂拉克斯 我算是看透你了。你不过是个谁都能上的婊子。 COTILAX: I’ve seen through you. You’re a hot harlot for any man.
莫尔 那妓女也跟法警一样——现在把你挂起来! MOLL: That harlot is like a bailiff who’ll now hang you up!

【对特拉普多尔】 拔剑,混蛋,但别真打。只要搞出点血迹,他们就得卧床养伤,还能找你要二十马克的赔偿费呢。 (To Trapdoor) Draw, scoundrel, but don’t strike. For a bloody head, they must bed rest and claim twenty marks as compensation.
科蒂拉克斯 你会为这次“劫囚”付出代价的!【对汉格】 去截住他,往“跑鞋巷”那头跑! COTILAX: You’ll pay for this prison raid! (To Hanger) Head to “Shoe Lane,” you can intercept him!
【科蒂拉克斯与汉格下。】 (Cotilax and Hanger exit.)
特拉普多尔 嘘!先生们,这算劫囚吗,算吗? TRAPDOOR: Shh! Is this a prison raid, gentlemen, or not?
莫尔 劫囚?去他们的!特拉普多尔,咱们走!很高兴我今天总算干了件漂亮事。要是哪位绅士不小心落入法网,尽管派人来找莫尔,我凭这双手保他脱身。 MOLL: Raid a prison? To hell with it! Trapdoor, let’s go! I’m glad to have done a fine deed today. Should any gentleman don a scrivener’s ruff, send for Moll—I’ll free him with these hands.
【同下。】 (Exit together.)

)(*)(

第四幕,第一场 | ACT IV, SCENE I
场景:亚历山大·温格雷夫爵士的房间 (Scene: Sir Alexander Wingrave’s Room)
【亚历山大·温格雷夫爵士上。】 (Sir Alexander enters.)
亚历山大爵士 不幸啊!摊上这么个被愚蠢冲昏头脑的儿子,全然不顾判断、理智、孝道,以及一切高贵与智慧的力量。哦,悲惨的父亲! SIR ALEXANDER: Misfortune! To have a son so blinded by folly, defying judgment, reason, filial duty, and all powers of nobility and wisdom. Oh, the wretched father!
【特拉普多尔上。】 (Trapdoor enters.)
亚历山大爵士 怎么样,特拉普多尔,她会来吗? SIR ALEXANDER: Well, Trapdoor, will she come?
特拉普多尔 穿男装来,老爷;我现在已经钻进她心里,掌握她所有的秘密了。 TRAPDOOR: In men’s attire, master; I’ve already wormed into her heart and share all her secrets.
亚历山大爵士 安静,安静。给,拿着我的这块德国怀表;把它挂在显眼处,让我能看见,好让我亲眼看着她因为这表在英国被送上绞架。 SIR ALEXANDER: Quiet, quiet, quiet. Here, take my German watch; hang it in a conspicuous place where I can see it, so that I can watch with my own eyes her being hung in England because of this watch.
特拉普多尔 这事包在我身上;下个开庭期 就能除掉她,老爷。这块表钓她上钩,比一百个巡警都管用。 TRAPDOOR: Leave it to me; by the next term she’ll be done for, master. This watch will bait her more than a hundred constables.
亚历山大爵士 好特拉普多尔,你真这么想?你在悲伤的风暴后鼓舞了我的心。还有我的金链子——给,拿着这价值一百马克的黄澄澄的链子。 SIR ALEXANDER: Good, Trapdoor, you really think so? You lift my heart after the storm of grief. And my gold chain, here, take this hundred-mark golden chain.
特拉普多尔 这正好能让那表更显眼,老爷,顶得上您一千个教区小吏的破灯笼。 TRAPDOOR: It’ll make the watch prominent, master, brighter than a thousand parish clerks’ lanterns.
亚历山大爵士 把它放在餐具柜上,完全暴露在她那双贼眼兼婊子眼的视线里。 SIR ALEXANDER: Place it on the sideboard, fully exposed to her thievish, slatternly eyes.
特拉普多尔 她不可能错过,老爷;我看得这么清楚,连我自己都想偷了。 TRAPDOOR: She can’t miss it, master; I see it so clearly, I’d steal it myself.
亚历山大爵士 说不定你也该偷——这个或者别的够分量的东西;她剩下的,你就悄悄进来摸走,我要让所有罪恶的重量都压在她背上。 SIR ALEXANDER: Perhaps you should steal too, that or another weighty item; what remains, take it quietly—I want all the burden on her back.
特拉普多尔 这我可不敢保证,老爷。 TRAPDOOR: That I cannot promise, master.
亚历山大爵士 哦?有什么阻碍? SIR ALEXANDER: No? What stands in the way?
特拉普多尔 她是个结实的姑娘,说不定她喜欢“压杠子”,那重量可就全压在她肚子上了。 TRAPDOOR: She’s a stout lass, might insist on “bench pressing” [19]—the weight would fall on her belly then.
亚历山大爵士 肚子还是背我不管,只要能逮住一个就行。 SIR ALEXANDER: Belly or back, I care not—so long as I catch one.
特拉普多尔 这方面您跟我想的一块儿去了,老爷。 TRAPDOOR: In that, we think alike, master.
亚历山大爵士 把我那条镶钻石的皱领饰带也挂起来;也许她最喜欢那个。 SIR ALEXANDER: Hanger my diamond-studded ruff too; perhaps she likes that best.
特拉普多尔【旁白】 她能有这么多选择真是走运;老头子觉得送她去死给什么都不嫌多。要是他再这么想下去,我干的第一件事就是自己去当贼;临死能带上这么好的行头,也算桩美事。 TRAPDOOR: (aside) She’s lucky to have choices; he deems nothing too much. If he ponders a moment longer, the first thing I’ll do is play thief myself; to be hanged with such gear is no small blessing.
亚历山大爵士 好,说得好;都挂得很“顺手”,但愿她也被这么吊起来。那景象会比这些闪闪发光的东西更让我痛快。哦,我的算计竟到了这种地步,我必须抢劫自己来“赐福”我的儿子! SIR ALEXANDER: Well said; they’re all hanging so “conveniently” [20] I wish she were hanging there too. That sight would give me more pleasure than all these glittering things. Oh, to think my calculations have come to this point, that I must rob myself to “bless” my son!
【亚历山大爵士下。】 (Exits.)
【塞巴斯蒂安、扮作侍童的玛丽·菲茨阿拉德,以及穿男装的莫尔上。】 (Sebastian, Mary Fitzallard as a page, and Moll in men’s attire enter.)
塞巴斯蒂安 你帮了我一个大忙,这既无罪恶也无羞耻;我们的爱是清白的。 SEBASTIAN: You’ve done me a good deed, free of vice and shame; our love is pure.
莫尔 我可不会用什么下作的手段来撮合你们。 MOLL: I’ll not employ other improper means to unite you.
塞巴斯蒂安 现在我终于有了时间和机会,可以毫无顾虑地欢迎你了,我的爱人。 SEBASTIAN: Now at last I have time and chance to greet you without fear, my love.
【塞巴斯蒂安与玛丽接吻。】 (They kiss.)
玛丽 从未如此渴望,也从未如此冒险。 MARY: Never so eager, never so daring.
莫尔 这场景可真怪——一个男人在亲吻另一个男人。 MOLL: Strange indeed—a man kissing a man.
塞巴斯蒂安 莫尔,我宁愿亲吻这样的“男人”;我觉得女人的双唇在男式紧身上衣里尝起来更甜美。 SEBASTIAN: I’d rather kiss such a “man,” Moll; I imagine a woman’s lips within a doublet are sweet too.
莫尔 那许多老贵妇可就走运了——她们在时尚变迁前,口气都馊了;如果穿男装真像你想的那么管用,她们迟早也会学会套上马裤的。 MOLL: Then many old ladies are lucky, for their breaths sour before fashion is struck; if this works as you think, they’ll soon learn to don breeches, too.
塞巴斯蒂安 她们越老越好,莫尔——我是认真的。就像有人觉得用异国杯子喝起酒来更有滋味,我觉得她以这种怪模样给我的每一个吻,都顶得上平常两个。我们在这儿很安全,没人窥探。这是我父亲的房间,他不到晚上绝不会上来;他在这里对我毫不怀疑,我也没压力。在我自己房间,他总想偷看我;在那儿我没有自由。他这回可是失算了。 SEBASTIAN: The older they, the better, Moll—truly, I mean it—as some think foreign cups make wine taste sweeter, so each kiss she gives me thus outweighs two normal ones. Here we are safe, far from prying eyes. This is my father’s room; he won’t ascend before nightfall. He suspects nothing, I worry not. In my own chamber, he spies; I find no freedom there, always restrained, blocked. Here he miscalculates.

莫尔【唱起歌来】 来了个小妞要把你吓坏, 她的胆量可真不小。 她曾跟个水手睡过觉, 她丈夫还关在“弗利特”监狱, 可她还要跟他吵嘴闹。 我纳闷她到底图个啥? 她丈夫的船已搁了浅, 她的帆儿却升得高; 可她却像我那帮对头, 先骂别人是荡妇,她们都这调。 去他妈的所有伪君子! MOLL: (Sings) A wench appears to frighten you, Her courage bold, her acts not few. She slept with a sailor once, While her husband lies in “Fleet” Prison— Yet still she quarrels with him. I wonder what she seeks. Her husband’s ship is aground, Yet hers can raise the sail; And like all my foes, She calls others whores first—they all do. To hell with all pretense!
莫尔 我梦见一个情妇,她挥霍无度;她去找她的“姐妹”,从不找正经人。 MOLL: I dreamed of a mistress, she spends all her money; she seeks her “sisters,” never anyone else.
【亚历山大爵士从他们背后上,在暗处窥听。】 (Sir Alexander enters from behind, eavesdropping.)

莫尔 她说她要去交易所买花样;结果你在圣凯瑟琳区才能找到她,回家时兜里一文不剩。 MOLL: She says she’ll go to the exchange for fancy wares; you’ll find her in St. Catherine’s, penniless returning home.
塞巴斯蒂安 那倒真是个大方的情妇,说真的。 SEBASTIAN: A generous mistress, indeed.
亚历山大爵士【旁白】 是啊,是啊,正像唱歌这位一样,正是你自己挑的那种货色。 SIR ALEXANDER: (aside) Yes, yes, yes, like the one singing—exactly the kind you’ve chosen yourself.
莫尔 我还要再梦一回吗? MOLL: Shall I dream it once more?
塞巴斯蒂安 哎呀,阿门,我说。 SEBASTIAN: Ah, amen, I say.
亚历山大爵士【旁白】 我也这么说。 SIR ALEXANDER: (aside) So say I.
莫尔 挂起琴 来吧,先生。刚才我一直在做梦;人在梦里总是不守规矩,但醒来时,我把腿并得可紧了。哟,一块表!几点了? MOLL: Hang up the strings, sir. I’ve been dreaming; in dreams one lies unruly, but awake I keep my legs tight. A watch! What time?
亚历山大爵士【旁白】 来了,来了——她上钩了。 SIR ALEXANDER: (aside) Now, now—she’s caught.
莫尔 一点到两点之间;那就没啥担心的。表和乐师在一件事上是近亲:他们都得把握好时间,否则就一无是处;一个该被砸在墙上,另一个该被琴盒敲碎脑壳。嘿,这是什么?一条松垮的链子和一颗晃荡的钻石。这对黄昏贼来说可是笔好买卖;多少败家子会为了这宝贝朝窗户里偷看,然后像鳗鱼钻进沙袋一样,从这屋里扭进扭出。哦,要是人们年轻时那些隐秘的勾当都要受审,那英格兰就要看到前所未见的大规模处刑了;剩下能唱小曲的人可就不多了。刽子手得忙死。咱们大半的典当商都能去当刽子手,那可是他们的好日子,那时他们就能免费更新绞索了。 MOLL: Between one and two; no worries then. The watch and a musician are kin in one thing: both must keep time, else worthless; one smashed against a wall, the other cracked in a case. What? A loose chain and a dangling diamond. A fine trade for dusk thieves; many sons will gawk at it through windows, wriggling like eels in sacks. Oh, if youth’s secret faults were judged, England would see mass executions unseen; few minstrels left to sing. The work would be endless. Half our pawnbrokers could be hangmen—good times, they’d update ropes for free.
塞巴斯蒂安 这就是那个能帮我们大忙的“咆哮女郎”。 SEBASTIAN: This is the roaring wench who’ll “serve us” well.
玛丽 她身上没有一点能被我们利用的恶意,这已经证明了。 MARY: No poison, sir, to employ; proved in her own person.
塞巴斯蒂安 嘘!天哪,我肯定听到他了,不管他在哪儿! SEBASTIAN: Hush! Heaven, I hear him, wherever he is!
莫尔 你听到谁了? MOLL: Who did you hear?
塞巴斯蒂安 我父亲。像是个一闪而过的影子;我得加倍小心。 SEBASTIAN: My father—a fleeting shadow; I must tread carefully.
亚历山大爵士【旁白】 不,他绝不会小心的。难道我就这么倒霉,什么招数都不灵?我得逼他摊牌。 SIR ALEXANDER: (aside) No, he won’t be careful. Am I so unlucky that nothing works? I must force a reveal.
塞巴斯蒂安 天哪,他来了! SEBASTIAN: Heavens, here he comes!

【对莫尔,给她钱。】 先生,请收下这个;您的教法让我非常满意,我加到四英镑。这是四十先令,先生,我想我没数错。【低声对莫尔】 帮帮我,好莫尔。【高声】 四十先令,现款。 (To Moll, giving her money) Sir, pray accept this; your method pleases me, I add four pounds. That’s forty shillings, sir. I think I counted right. (Aside to Moll) Help me, good Moll. (aloud) Forty shillings, in cash.
莫尔 先生,您得见谅;我教过最差的学生给得都比这多。这可比我目前收到的都要多。 MOLL: Sir, forgive me; my worst pupils have given more. This exceeds all I’ve yet received.
塞巴斯蒂安 等下个季度我拿到父亲给的津贴时,我会再给您另外四十先令。 SEBASTIAN: Next quarter, when I get my father’s allowance, you shall have another forty shillings.
亚历山大爵士【旁白】 这出戏演得不错,要是换个被悲伤蒙蔽了眼的人准信了;但我可是戴着两片雪亮的镜片,看穿了他的荒唐和谎言。 SIR ALEXANDER: (aside) Not bad, for one blinded by grief; but I see his folly and lies, through two bright lenses. [21]

【高声】 这是在干什么? (aloud) What’s going on?
塞巴斯蒂安 父亲? SEBASTIAN: Father?
亚历山大爵士 屋里是谁? SIR ALEXANDER: Who’s inside?
塞巴斯蒂安 您来得正是时候,父亲。我有事相求,想请您现在就恩准。 SEBASTIAN: Just in time, father. I seek your favor; I wish it granted this moment.
亚历山大爵士 他是谁? SIR ALEXANDER: Who is he?
塞巴斯蒂安 一位绅士,也是位乐师,父亲;指法极其精湛。 SEBASTIAN: A gentleman, a musician, father, with most exquisite fingerwork.
亚历山大爵士【旁白】 是啊,我想也是;真奇怪那些指法(指偷窃)怎么没用在她身上。 SIR ALEXANDER: (aside) Yes, I think so; strange indeed how they escape her.
塞巴斯蒂安 他的“按弦指法”最是精妙,父亲。 SEBASTIAN: His “fingerwork” [22] is most exquisite, father.
亚历山大爵士【旁白】 确实是一记重击。我心口都疼了! SIR ALEXANDER: (aside) Indeed—a heavy blow! [23] I feel it in my chest!
塞巴斯蒂安 他胜过您所有那些有名的乐师。 SEBASTIAN: Better than all your famed musicians.
亚历山大爵士【旁白】 是啊,一个荡妇能胜过一百个乐师。 SIR ALEXANDER: (aside) Yes, a wench can surpass a hundred musicians.
塞巴斯蒂安 四十先令是我们谈好的学费,父亲。我现在手头只有一半。 SEBASTIAN: Forty shillings is our agreed price, father. Now, I have but half.
亚历山大爵士 而他非要全款不可? SIR ALEXANDER: And he insists on full payment?
塞巴斯蒂安 是啊,他很坚持,父亲。 SEBASTIAN: Indeed, he insists, father.
亚历山大爵士【旁白】 而且他会一直坚持下去(双关:莫尔会一直纠缠塞巴斯蒂安)。 SIR ALEXANDER: (aside) And he will—always insisting; never changing. [24]
塞巴斯蒂安 所以我想堵住他的嘴,父亲,如果可以的话。 SEBASTIAN: So I wish to hush him, father, if I can.
亚历山大爵士 嗯,确实,没别的法子了。【旁白】 他的愚蠢真是变本加厉;耻辱就要来了。 SIR ALEXANDER: Yes, indeed, no other way. (aside) His folly increases; disgrace will follow.

【高声】 那么,先生,我听说您是以音乐为业的。 (aloud) So, sir, I hear you are a musician by trade.
莫尔 我不过是那“自由艺术”的一介卑微仆人,爵士。 MOLL: I am but a humble Servant to the Liberal Arts, sir.
亚历山大爵士 您在哪儿授课? SIR ALEXANDER: Where do you teach?
莫尔 就在克利福德律师学院对面。 MOLL: Opposite Clifford’s Law Academy.
亚历山大爵士 哼,那地方倒挺合适。您的学生多吗? SIR ALEXANDER: Hmph, a fitting place. Many pupils?
莫尔 有些颇有身份;我可以称他们为我的主人。 MOLL: Some of rank; I might even call them my masters.
亚历山大爵士【旁白】 是啊,没错一帮拉皮条的。【高声】 您也教唱歌吗? SIR ALEXANDER: (aside) Indeed—a set of pimps. (aloud) You teach singing as well?
莫尔 教的,爵士。 MOLL: I do, sir.
亚历山大爵士 我想您会发现我儿子是个领悟力很强的学生,尤其是在“按谱唱歌”[25] 方面。 SIR ALEXANDER: You will find my son quick of understanding, especially at reading music.
莫尔 我对他寄予厚望。 MOLL: I have high hopes for him.
亚历山大爵士【旁白】 我为此感到难过;我对他的希望反而更少了。 SIR ALEXANDER: (aside) I regret it; thus my hopes are diminished.
【高声】 您能演奏任何曲子吗? (aloud) Can you perform any piece?
莫尔 只要看到谱子,我就能弹,爵士。 MOLL: See the score, and I play it, sir.
亚历山大爵士 有首曲子叫《女巫》。您会弹吗? SIR ALEXANDER: There is a piece called “The Witch.” Can you play it?
莫尔 要是有人能弹得比我好,那我可真要难受了。 MOLL: If anyone surpasses me in it, I would be sorely grieved.
亚历山大爵士【旁白】 是啊,我相信。她蛊惑了我儿子——再怎么操心也补不回来了。既然我的计策 [26] 失败了,我就顺着她的诡计设个更大的局。这儿有四枚带孔的金币 [27],正适合他那些堕落的同伙;他会把金子给她的。我就用这些当引子,引她走向毁灭,好洗清我家的耻辱,驱散我心头的悲痛。【高声】 给,儿子;既然是能让你获得快乐的事,手头拮据不该限制你。【给他钱。】 用这些金币付给这位“先生”剩下的那一半酬劳吧。 SIR ALEXANDER: (aside) Yes, I trust her. She beguiled my son—no care can undo it. Since my scheme failed, I’ll use her wiles as a trap. Here are four perforated coins, fit for his decadent companions; he will hand them to her. I’ll bait her ruin, dispelling my household’s shame, my grief. (aloud) Take, son; in your pleasures, let not poverty hinder. (Gives him coins) Pay the gentleman the remainder.
塞巴斯蒂安 谢谢您,父亲。 SEBASTIAN: Thank you, father.
莫尔 既然被当作“男乐师”,我没得选,只能把他 [28] 当作我的“乐器”,好好在他身上弹奏一番了。 MOLL: Since he’s being treated as a “male musician,” I have no choice but to treat him as my “instrument” and play him well.
【同下。】 (They exit together.)

)(*)(

第四幕,第二场 | ACT IV, SCENE II
场景:霍尔本街 (Scene: Holborn Street)
【亚历山大爵士上,偷偷观察街上的动静。】 (Sir Alexander enters, secretly observing the street.)
亚历山大爵士 终于,她上钩了;就像我设下的陷阱,咬钩的那一刻响声最是动听。 SIR ALEXANDER: At last, she’s taken the bait; the crucial moment is the snap of the trap.
【塞巴斯蒂安与莫尔上,莫尔仍装作男子模样。】 (Sebastian and Moll enter, still in male clothing.)
塞巴斯蒂安 快点,莫尔;每一刻都可能被我父亲撞见。 SEBASTIAN: Hurry, Moll; each moment risks discovery by my father.
莫尔 放心吧,我已把一切安排妥当。你的金子和我的技艺,合起来正好引他上钩。 MOLL: Fear not; all is in order. Your coins and my skill will draw him in.
塞巴斯蒂安 如果父亲真看到这一幕 [29] 我将彻底丢掉自由。 SEBASTIAN: If my father sees this, my freedom will be lost.
莫尔 他不会看清真相的;他只会看到他想看到的表象,正如你所料。 MOLL: He won’t see the whole truth; only the surface, as you suspect.
【亚历山大爵士偷偷靠近,在一旁偷听。】 (Sir Alexander creeps closer, eavesdropping.)
亚历山大爵士【旁白】 他以为自己聪明,能蒙混过关,但我只需静观其变,看他们如何自取灭亡。 SIR ALEXANDER: (aside) He fancies himself clever, able to deceive, but I need only watch.
【街上另一头,法警科蒂拉克斯与汉格布置伏兵。】 (Cotherick and Hanger lay an ambush in the street.)
科蒂拉克斯 快,汉格,把伏兵布置好;今晚咱们非逮住那败家子杰克·戴珀不可! COTHERICK: Quick, Hanger, set the ambush; tonight we catch that prodigal!
汉格 放心吧,科蒂拉克斯,一旦他踏入这圈套,哪怕他长了翅膀也逃不掉。 HANGER: Rest assured, Cotherick, once he steps in, there’s no escape.
【塞巴斯蒂安递金币给莫尔。】 (Sebastian hands coins to Moll.)
塞巴斯蒂安 拿着,莫尔;用这四枚金币完成你的那部分戏。 SEBASTIAN: Take these four coins, Moll; fulfill your part.
莫尔 这金币将把他稳稳地引向我的掌控之中。 MOLL: These coins will draw him right into my grasp.
亚历山大爵士【旁白】 一切如我所料;我只需坐等,羞辱与报应自会降临在他头上。 SIR ALEXANDER: (aside) All as I foresaw; I only need wait, shame and retribution will follow.
【塞巴斯蒂安与莫尔开始演奏音乐,吸引周围观众。】 (Sebastian and Moll begin to play music, drawing attention.)
莫尔 音乐会引来人群,自然也会引来猎物。 MOLL: Music draws the crowd, and the prey.
塞巴斯蒂安 希望父亲继续只看表面,而不要触及真相。 SEBASTIAN: I hope my father continues to see only the surface, not the truth.
【亚历山大爵士暗中观察,愤怒与焦虑交织。】 (Sir Alexander observes from the shadows, anger and anxiety mingling.)
亚历山大爵士 他们自以为聪明绝顶,殊不知我早已布下全局;这一切都将在我手中彻底崩塌。 SIR ALEXANDER: They think themselves clever, yet I’ve set the entire stage; all will collapse in my hands.
【街角传来骚动,法警伏兵已就位。】 (A commotion at the street corner—the ambush is ready.)
科蒂拉克斯 准备好;一旦他踏入这条街,他的每一步都将被我们掌控! COTHERICK: Ready; once he steps onto this street, every step is ours!
汉格 他无法逃脱,这回真是山穷水尽了。 HANGER: No escape; this time he’s truly trapped.
莫尔 走吧,塞巴斯蒂安,音乐已经响起,我们的计划正式开始了。 MOLL: Come, Sebastian; music plays, our scheme begins.
塞巴斯蒂安 谨慎些,莫尔;父亲就在暗处,我得随时应对。 SEBASTIAN: Be cautious, Moll; my father lurks, I must respond at once.
【幕落】 (Curtain falls)

)(*)(

第四幕, 第三场 | ACT IV, SCENE III
场景:霍尔本街,加利波家附近 (Scene: Holborn Street, near Gallipot’s House)
【加利波夫人与奥本沃克夫人上。】 (Lady Gallipot and Mrs. Openwork enter.)
加利波夫人 这么说,您那位“鹰”(指戈肖克)真是这么野性难驯? LADY GALLIPOT: So, your “eagle” is really that wild?
奥本沃克夫人 什么鹰啊,那是只秃鹫,满脑子都是猎食;他名义上是在“钓鱼”,实际上一门心思只想吃肉(色诱)。 MRS. OPENWORK: What eagle? A vulture, all for prey; he fishes, but he prefers meat.
加利波夫人 他那张脸滑溜溜的,居然藏得住这么多坏心思,而我们竟然没看出来,这可能吗? LADY GALLIPOT: His smooth face hides wrinkles, yet we see none—is that possible?
奥本沃克夫人 怎么不可能?哈!多少穿着丝袜、鞋尖缀着漂亮玫瑰结的长腿,底下的脚掌其实是丑陋的外八字? MRS. OPENWORK: Possible? Ha! How many pretty legs in silk, though capped with great rose knots, still grow nasty pigeon-toes beneath?
加利波夫人 的确,姐姐,您说到了点子上。 LADY GALLIPOT: Indeed, madam, you speak the truth.
奥本沃克夫人 您上次路过邦希尔箭场时,没见过那射手拉弓时斜眼瞄准吗? MRS. OPENWORK: Last time you passed Bunhill, didn’t you see the archer squinting as he drew his bow?
加利波夫人 见过,他的箭飞向北边的伊斯灵顿,可眼睛却直勾勾地盯着南边的平利可。 LADY GALLIPOT: Yes, his arrow flies toward Islington, yet his eye is fixed on Pimlico.
奥本沃克夫人 一模一样!戈肖克先生就是这么跟我耍两面派的。 MRS. OPENWORK: Exactly so; Mr. Goshawk played me double-faced in just that way.
奥本沃克夫人 就因为他戴着个粗毛呢皱领,把脸嵌在里面,活像一枚镶在痉挛戒指(旧时认为能治抽搐的戒指)上的玛瑙石,他就真以为我爱上他了。他反复灌输,想让我相信我丈夫在外面养了姘头。 MRS. OPENWORK: Merely because Goshawk wore a coarse wool ruff, his face lodged inside like an onyx set in a twitching ring, he thought I loved him. He kept insisting I should believe my husband kept a mistress.
加利波夫人 那可真是精彩。 LADY GALLIPOT: Marvelous.
奥本沃克夫人 他还跟我发毒誓,说我丈夫今天早上坐着带篷的小船去了布伦特福德的“三鸽”酒馆,那姘头就藏在船篷底下。我当时真信了,破口大骂那些荡妇,甚至准备好扬帆启航,要在那儿堵他个现行。 MRS. OPENWORK: He swore it, too—that this morning my husband rode a covered boat to Brentford’s “Three Pigeons,” with his mistress beneath the canopy. I believed him, cursed those harlots, prepared to set sail to arrive simultaneously.

奥本沃克夫人 为了这场“航行”,戈肖克立马就蹦了出来。但是,好姐姐,这只“猎犬”想叼的鸭子其实是我;他指望在布伦特福德逮住我,好让我乖乖就范(嘎嘎叫)。 MRS. OPENWORK: For this voyage, Goshawk appeared instantly. But, madam, the retriever aimed for the duck—and that duck was me; he expected to catch me at Brentford and make me quack.

奥本沃克夫人 我确定!我那无辜的可怜丈夫奥本沃克进门时,我正在整理皱领;我立马拿“三鸽”酒馆的事呛他。他矢口否认,我便全摊牌了。现在他正伏击在附近的店里,像一杆架在支架上的长枪,就等戈肖克来接我去码头时,好射瞎那流氓的眼。 MRS. OPENWORK: Certain! My poor, innocent Openwork came in while I arranged my ruff; I confronted him about the “Three Pigeons.” He denied it; I revealed all. Now he waits nearby, like a fowling-piece on its stand, ready to blind Goshawk when he comes for me.
加利波夫人 也有个同样不中用的“阉马”想骗我赴汤蹈火——就是拉克斯顿,姐姐——不过我现在已经把他甩掉了。 LADY GALLIPOT: Another equally useless gelding promised to lead me through fire and water—Laxton, sir—but I’ve rid myself of him.
奥本沃克夫人 能摆脱这帮苍蝇的女人才是幸福的。唉,那些花里胡哨的浪荡子,跟我们这些实在的丈夫比起来算个什么?公平地称一称,他们连个零头都不够。 MRS. OPENWORK: A woman who shakes off all of them is truly happy. Alas, your foppish rakes compared to our sturdy husbands? Weigh them fairly—one to one?

奥本沃克夫人 一帮无聊又淫荡的货色。任凭他们在外面怎么折腾,咱们这些开店的,到头来准能用钱袋子把他们网住——等他们落了网,老天,他们其实笨得出奇! MRS. OPENWORK: Boring, foolish, lust-filled; yet however fast they run on us, we shopkeepers can snare them with our purses—once trapped, heavens, how simple these creatures are!
【戈肖克上。】 (Goshawk enters.)
加利波夫人【旁白】 嘘,姐姐,戈肖克这只“飞贼”扑腾着翅膀来了。 LADY GALLIPOT: (aside) Hush, madam, Goshawk flutters in.
戈肖克 怎么样,准备好了吗? GOSHAWK: Well, ready?
奥本沃克夫人 还没呢;您准备好了吗?只要一点小报酬,我们就能准备好。 MRS. OPENWORK: Not yet; are you ready? A trifle would suffice to make us ready.
戈肖克 “我们”?怎么,她也要一起去? GOSHAWK: “We”? What, she’s coming too?
奥本沃克夫人 哦,务必一起去。我怎么知道我丈夫会怎么对付我? MRS. OPENWORK: Oh yes, together. How else can I know what my husband might do?
戈肖克【旁白】 妈的,我上哪儿找那么多“水”来同时推动这两架“磨坊”?【高声】 好吧,既然你们非要一起关在舱底下,如果我不能载着你们一直航行到船散架,就把我吊在主桅上淹死。 GOSHAWK: (aside) Damn, where shall I find enough “water” to drive these two mills? (aloud) Very well, if you insist on being locked under deck together, if I cannot sail you to the ship’s breaking, hang me from the mainmast and drown me!

戈肖克【高声】 来吧,来吧!船桨备好了,顺风顺水!戴上你们的面具。风啊,使劲吹吧,咱们这就去布伦特福德看你丈夫“撒网捕鱼”! GOSHAWK: (aloud) Come, come! Oars ready, tide with us! Don the masks! Blow, wind, and see your husband casting nets for fresh salmon at Brentford!
【女人们戴上面具。】 (The ladies put on masks.)
【奥本沃克突然出现。】 (Openwork enters.)

戈肖克【旁白】 天哪,罗莎蒙德,你丈夫! GOSHAWK: (aside) Good heavens, Rosamond, your husband!
奥本沃克 怎么啦?亲爱的戈肖克先生,欢迎之至!我一直盼着跟你叙旧呢。这位是谁?罗莎蒙德?老婆?还有你,小姨子? OPENWORK: What’s the matter? Dear Mr. Goshawk, welcome! I’ve been longing for your embrace. Who is this? Rosamond? Wife? And you, sister?

奥本沃克 为什么要戴面具?面具是美貌的贼,偷走了那些能滋生真爱的欣赏目光。除非人们想通过漂亮的外罩来激发才智,去捕捉最野性的眼神?面具就是美貌的坟墓。男人见到蒙面的女人,只会诅咒那第一个发明面具的女巫。来,摘了它。 OPENWORK: No masks. Ah, a mask is a thief of beauty, stealing the eyes that would breed true love. Why wear a mask? Why desire it? A mask is the grave of beauty. A man seeing eyes thus veiled curses the inventor of the mask, swearing her a witch. Come, take it off.
奥本沃克夫人 我不摘。 MRS. OPENWORK: I will not.
奥本沃克 老婆,收起这面“帆”(面具)吧。因为风暴就藏在你眼睛里。 OPENWORK: Pray, sweet Rose, furl this sail. Ha? Yes, wife, furl the sail, for the storm is in your eyes.
奥本沃克夫人 风暴就在这儿呢,先生——就在我眉头上!你们升起这两面旗帜是要干什么?来,演哪出戏? MRS. OPENWORK: Storm is here, sir—in my brows, if there’s a storm at all. Why raise these two banners? Comedy, then—what comedy?
加利波夫人 向西去(Westward ho,暗指去郊区幽会)! LADY GALLIPOT: Westward ho!
奥本沃克夫人 布伦特福德今天不是有集市吗?您的“三鸽”馅饼已经烤好了,就等您亲自去切开呢!奥本沃克夫人 是啊,你这好色的山羊,臭狒狒!难道我失去所有朋友,就是为了给一个公共妓女当幌子吗? MRS. OPENWORK: Isn’t there a market in Brentford today? A Three-Pigeon pie; baked, ready for you to slice. Yes, lecherous goat, baboon! Did I lose all friends for this? Reject wealth and honor to serve as a front for a common harlot?

奥本沃克夫人 去吧,魔鬼!去找你那个在切尔西闪耀的“星”吧,如果让这种“月亮”给你引路,你迟早要迷失方向。去找你那个西部婊子,今天早上你不是刚跟她划过桨吗? MRS. OPENWORK: Go, devil, go! The “star” you sail by shines over Chelsea; if you let this moon guide you, you’ll lose the shore. Go find your fickle sweetheart. Bah! You western harlot—this morning you rowed with her, paddles in hand. In Brentford, sir.
奥本沃克 戈肖克先生,是哪个流氓跟她嚼舌根了?我在布伦特福德跟女人划船?纯属谎言!说出那流氓的名字! OPENWORK: Mr. Goshawk, which scoundrel whispered this to her? Did I row with a woman in Brentford? Lies! Damn it, speak his name!
戈肖克【旁白】 我浑身冒汗!真希望我待在那个叫冷港的地方! GOSHAWK: (aside) I’m sweating! I wish I were at Cold Haven!
奥本沃克【拔剑】 我要骑马去牛津,也要把这流氓找出来!要是我在自己家里遇见这恶魔,我就在大街上杀了他! OPENWORK: (Drawing sword) I would ride to Oxford to find him! If I meet this demon in my home, I will kill him in the street!
戈肖克 对天发誓,我不认识那个人! GOSHAWK: I swear to heaven, I do not know that man!
奥本沃克夫人 那你就印你自己的名字吧!难道不是你亲口对我发誓说他养了姘头的吗?奥本沃克夫人 你这只蜘蛛,居然在我家里织网来套路我!你在这个屋檐下白吃白喝,却把养分都变成了毒液,吐在你朋友我丈夫的脸上?只是为了让我觉得他丑陋,好把目光转到你身上吗? MRS. OPENWORK: Then print your own name. Did you not swear he kept a mistress? You spider, weaving your cunning web in my own house to trap me! Did you not even suck nourishment under this roof, then turn it all to venom? Spit it on your friend, my husband? Only to make him ugly in my eyes, so my gaze turns to you?
【戈肖克羞愧难当。】(Goshawk is deeply ashamed.)
奥本沃克 别说了,他被蜇疼了。谁能想到一个人的身体里能同时住着天堂与地狱?戈肖克先生,我早就在你眼里看到了淫邪的火焰。为了试试我的眼光,我故意告诉你我养了姘头,看你会不会去挑拨——结果发现,这世上几乎找不到完美的友谊。 OPENWORK: Speak no more; he is stung. I saw the flame of lust in your eyes; to test my judgment, I claimed a mistress, merely to feel your pulse—and found almost no perfect friends exist.

奥本沃克 好了,年轻人的一点小花招,原谅了。过了这个坎,咱们以后还是好哥们。 OPENWORK: Enough, youth’s tricks are forgiven; with this hurdle passed, our friendship flows smoother.
拉克斯顿 加利波先生,我对天发誓,我从未想过要玷污您的床。我当初在您店里品烟,听您夫人挑战所有男人,说没人能骗走她的真心。我这人好胜,便展开了攻势。 LAXTON: When I first saw your wife, I and other gentlemen sat in your shop tasting pipe tobacco. Your wife swore no man could steal her heart. I attacked her.

拉克斯顿 结果她英勇击退了我。为了试探她,我后来甚至假装手头紧求接济,她出于善良帮了我,但绝无私情。我所做的一切不过是场“考验”,是场寻欢作乐。您的金子,我连本带息归还。 LAXTON: She held firm, bravely repelling me. To test her, I later aided her situation as a gentleman; she helped me, but never to ruin you. All I did was for sport. Your gold, I repay with interest. When I could harm most, I harmed least.
加利波 既然如此,那大家都别走了,都留下来吃晚饭!老婆,以后别再吹嘘什么“坚守到底”了,吹得最响的,往往才是最大的荡妇! GALLIPOT: Then, Gentlemen, all stay for dinner. Wife, no more boasting of endurance; the loudest bragger is the greatest minx.
【同下。】 (Exeunt omnes.)

)(*)(

第五幕,第一场 | ACT V, SCENE I
场景:伦敦街道 (Scene: A Street in London)
【杰克·戴珀、莫尔、俊美的盖尼米德爵士与托马斯·朗爵士上。】 (Sir Jack Dapper, Moll, the handsome Sir Ganymede, and Sir Thomas Long enter.)
杰克 但是求您,杰克“船长”,对我直说吧。真是您那威斯敏斯特悍妇般的勇气,把我从普尔特里监狱那群“秃鹫”手里救出来的吗? JACK: Pray, Captain Jack, be plain with me. Was it truly your Westminster fury, like Mistress Mag, that rescued me from the vultures of Poultry Prison?
莫尔 是我机智的胆量救了您,先生,我敢保证。当您掉进那帮亡命徒的陷阱时,是我利落地把您捞出来的。这两位爵士都听到了,我那只“杜鹃鸟”——也就是我的仆人特拉普多尔——已经唱出了您重获自由的调子。 MOLL: It was my clever courage that saved you, sir, I assure you. When you were in that desperado’s snare, I plucked you out cleanly. The handsome Sir Ganymede and Sir Thomas Long heard my cuckoo—my Servant Trapdoor—sing the tune of your redemption.
俊美的盖尼米德 该死,莫尔,特拉普多尔那家伙跑哪儿去了? SIR GANYMEDE: Blast it, Moll, where is Trapdoor?
莫尔 这会儿大概已经被吊死了吧。城里有个治安官(指亚历山大爵士),开口闭口就是要签押送令,他把那混蛋当成烟火玩,让他像“跑线火药”一样在我跟他之间传来传去。 MOLL: He’s probably hanged by now. A city magistrate, always muttering “commit him to Newgate,” let that rogue run back and forth between him and me like a firework.

莫尔 哎呀,他们设了个恶毒的陷阱想炸碎我的命。但我闻到了火药味,看清了是谁在点火瞄准我这艘可怜的“彩船”,我就让我的人像推盘游戏里的先令硬币一样溜走了。我猜他这会儿正躲在城郊,靠妓女的接济和老鸨的残羹剩饭过活呢。 MOLL: Ah, they set a wicked trap to blow me up; I smelled the powder, saw who lit the fuse at poor Captain Color-Ship, and had my men slip away like shillings in a board game. I imagine he’s strutting in the outskirts, living off a whore’s scraps.
托马斯·朗爵士 杰克·戴珀先生。 SIR THOMAS: Sir Jack Dapper.
杰克 托马斯·朗有何指教? JACK: And what says Sir Thomas Long?
托马斯·朗爵士 您以前不是有个脸蛋漂亮的小厮吗?他怎么不见了? SIR THOMAS: Did you not once have a handsome page, calling your little Dick brother? Where has he vanished?
杰克 说实话,我把那只“小笨鸟”打发走了。因为在小餐馆里,那帮浪荡子老是拿我寻开心,说我看起来像个涂脂抹粉的市议员墓碑,而旁边的小厮就像个阴森森的骷髅头。 JACK: Honestly, I whisked that poor bird away, for when he served me in taverns, rakes would mock, saying I looked like a painted city alderman’s tombstone, and my page like a skull. Sir Jack, Moll.
莫尔 我的小戴珀有什么话要跟我说? MOLL: What have you to say, my little Dapper?
杰克 “疯玛丽”船长阁下,我那个傻瓜亲爹,戴珀·戴维爵士,居然雇了伦敦的捕役来伏击我。 JACK: Captain “Mad Mary,” my foolish father, Sir Dapper Davey, arranged London bailiffs, those constables, to ambush me.

杰克 凭这块手帕的流苏发誓,千真万确!您猜他那“军事策略”是什么?他以为柳条笼子能驯服夜莺,一个虱子成堆的监狱就能把我变成听话的蠢驴。杰克 是啊,他居然以为债务人监狱——那个全城各种“野兽”并肩奔跑的公园——就能让我认栽。 JACK: I swear on this handkerchief’s fringe—it’s true. Guess his military strategy? He thought a wicker cage “tames” a nightingale, a lice-infested prison can turn me into a fool. Indeed, as if a debtor’s prison—the “park” where all the city beasts run shoulder to shoulder—could tame me.
【诺兰勋爵上。】 (Lord Noland enters.)
莫尔 看,诺兰勋爵来了。 MOLL: Lord Noland has arrived.
诺兰勋爵 诸位先生,幸会。莫尔,今天不来点烟抽吗? LORD NOLAND: Gentlemen, pleased to meet. No tobacco, today, truly, Jack?
杰克 诺兰勋爵,您跟我们一吗?我们要去那儿痛饮一番,去那个盛产香料酒蛋糕的快活乡! JACK: Lord Noland, will you join us to Plyco? [33] We’re about to drink deeply, to that drunken land of spice cakes.
诺兰勋爵 有这么快活的一群伙伴,我真想一直航行到世界尽头。走吧,先生们! LORD NOLAND: With such merry company, I’d gladly sail to the world’s end. Come, gentlemen, let us go.
【他们散步。】 (They walk.)

)(*)(

第五幕,第二场 | ACT V, SCENE II
场景:伦敦街道
【特拉普多尔与提尔卡特上,扮作穷士兵。】 (Trapdoor and Tilcart enter, disguised as ragged soldiers.)
特拉普多尔 我们要不要袭击这支步兵小队?妈的,莫尔来了,我那母夜叉主人!真想活生生把她的腰子咬出来。 TRAPDOOR: Shall we attack these foot soldiers? Damn, Moll is here—my bitch of a master! I’d chew her kidneys raw.

特拉普多尔 尊贵的老爷们,求求你们发发慈悲,让这嘶哑的军号声穿透你们善良的心肠,挤出几块碎银子吧!让两个残废的老兵能有个硬草窝睡上一觉。 TRAPDOOR: Honorable sirs, let the hoarse bugle pierce your kindness and squeeze out a few coins so two crippled soldiers may sleep on straw.
莫尔【冷眼旁观】 纯粹的骗子。再给他们点苦头尝尝。莫尔 一个子儿都别给,爵士。你们这两个下贱的骗子,我看你们比裁缝量衣服还准呢。我要好好“招待”你,就像你这独眼怪物以前“招待”我一样! MOLL: A pure liar. Give them another thrash. Not a penny, handsome sir. You vile liars, I size you up better than any tailor. I shall “entertain” you, as that one-eyed freak once entertained me. 【莫尔猛地扯掉他的眼罩】

莫尔 “士兵”?你这种货色也配玷污这么高尚的职业?凭你那条撒谎的舌头就该被吊死!站住别动,这附近准有个“陷阱门”。莫尔 来,你这流氓,跟我说几句“切口”。 MOLL: Soldier? You soil a noble calling. Soldier? You blaggard rogue! Stand still, near here is a “trapdoor.” Come, you scoundrel, tell me the “street slang” [34]
特拉普多尔【唱起下流的切口歌】 “好娘们,咱俩去抢个摊子、撬个门锁、或者割个钱袋? 然后咱们在树丛下的酒桶里躺着, 你跟我‘快活’(黑话,指行房),我跟你‘亲热’。” TRAPDOOR: (Sings) “Shall we, fine lady, snatch a stall, pick a lock, or slit a purse? Then we’ll lie in a barrel under the bushes— You ‘revel’ with me, I with you ‘delight’.” [35]
莫尔【扇他耳光】 滚,你这厚颜无耻的杂种! MOLL: (Slapping him) Begone, you shameless, filthy rogue!
诺兰勋爵 等等,莫尔,他那些胡话到底什么意思? LORD NOLAND: No, Moll, what do his words mean?
莫尔 他在问我愿不愿意跟他一起去抢劫、偷窃,然后躲在灌木丛里跟他交欢。他用那些听起来像行军的词儿,掩盖他那满脑子的男盗女娼。 MOLL: He asks if I’ll join his crimes, which means lie with him in the bushes. He uses soldier-talk to hide his filth. [36]

莫尔 看好你们的口袋,勋爵大人。那家伙是个“探手”。 MOLL: Watch your purse, my Lord. That fellow is a “fingerman.” [37]
诺兰勋爵 “探手”?那是什么行当? LORD NOLAND: A “fingerman”? What’s that?
莫尔 那是钻研“无花果法律”的行家。他们分工明确:有“夹子”负责固定猎物;有“诱饵”拿着短杖在前面挡住你的视线;而真正的扒手则像潜水员一样,用两根手指瞬间夹走你的钱包。他们甚至能在金匠摊位前,用一根小棍儿像玩跳蛙一样,把你的戒指全勾走! MOLL: He masters the “fig law.” [38] There’s a “clasper” to hold you, a “bait” with a rod to distract your eyes, while the thief dives into your pocket. They can even make rings leap from a jeweler’s stall like a frog game!
扒手乙【惊恐】 妈的,我们被“熏”出来了!是莫尔,那个咆哮的母夜叉!快走! PICKPOCKET B: Blast! We’ve been “smoked”! It’s Moll, that roaring she-devil. Let’s go!
诺兰勋爵 莫尔,真奇怪,你一个女人怎么会对这些下流勾当了如指掌? LORD NOLAND: Strange, Moll, how do you know all these low scoundrels?
莫尔 勋爵大人,难道一个人知道邪恶,就代表他本身是邪恶的吗?莫尔 如果您去威尼斯旅行,一个向导告诉了你当地妓女和骗子的所有诡计,好让你免遭暗算。等您回了伦敦,把这些经验告诉朋友,难道您就成了拉皮条的吗? MOLL: My Lord, does knowing wrong make one bear a black name? Suppose, Lord, you’re in Venice, and a guide reveals all the secrets of the prostitutes to save you from danger. When you tell your friends, does that make you a pimp?

莫尔 我承认,年少时我也曾在这些毒蛇中间坐过,见过他们的毒刺。但我观察他们,是为了了解这些流氓的手段,好让这种人身败名裂。可就在这过程中,我由于走得太近,自己也沾上了恶名。有多少戴着精致皱领、满脸正经的贵妇其实是老鸨?又有多少贞洁的女人,名字却被写进了诽谤书?我自得其乐,以我自己的方式活着,我不在乎那些缩在法律阴影下的懦夫怎么看我。 MOLL: I confess, in youth I strayed, sat among these vipers, saw their poison stings. I watched them to ruin them, but in the process, I earned my own notorious name. How many solemn-faced ladies are in fact madams? How many chaste women fill libel books? I enjoy myself, caring not who loves me.

)(*)(

第五幕, 第三场| ACT V, SCENE III

地点:亚历山大·温格雷夫爵士府邸 (Scene: Sir Alexander Wengrave’s Residence)
【亚历山大爵士、戈肖克、格林威特及下人上。】 (Enter Sir Alexander, Goshawk, Greenwit, and Attendants.)
亚历山大爵士 我儿子居然要娶个贼?娶那个厚颜无耻的疯丫头?全伦敦都会用最恶毒的目光来羞辱我们家! SIR ALEXANDER: My son marrying a thief? Marrying that shameless girl? The whole world casts its harshest scorn upon her!
格林威特 事已至此,您打算如何阻止? GREENWIT: And how do you plan to stop it?
戈肖克 恐怕没指望了。听闻他们已经秘密成婚,人已远走高飞,谁也不知去向。 GOSHAWK: Impossible. They’ve married in secret; they’re gone, and no one knows where.
亚历山大爵士 噢,诸位,一个父亲的心弦还能经受多少次这种折磨而不崩断? SIR ALEXANDER: Oh, gentlemen, how long can a father’s heart endure such strain before breaking?
【一仆人急匆匆上。】 (A Servant enters in haste.)

亚历山大爵士 有什么新消息? SIR ALEXANDER: Any news?
仆人 一小时前,有人看见他们在水面上,正朝着水闸(兰贝斯)方向划去。 SERVANT: An hour ago, someone saw them on the water, heading toward the sluice.
亚历山大爵士 水闸?快,先生们!肯定是兰贝斯那帮人在跟我们作对,在那儿撮合婚事! SIR ALEXANDER: The sluice? Quickly, gentlemen! Lambeth conspires against us.
格林威特 兰贝斯催生的那种疯狂婚姻,比温莎桥下所有六个水镇加起来还多——在那儿,连买命的船费都能泡发了霉。 GREENWIT: That mad marriage was hatched in Lambeth which outweighs all six water towns down to Windsor Bridge—enough to rot the boat fares.
亚历山大爵士 别再耽搁了!去黑衣修士桥!我们雇条快船追上去! SIR ALEXANDER: No more delay, gentlemen. To Blackfriars Bridge! Hire a boat—we must catch them.
【盖伊爵士上。】 (Enter Sir Guy.)
盖伊爵士 亚历山大爵士,碰见您正好!您这叫自食其果。当初我女儿在您眼里可是连尘土都不如。 SIR GUY: Sir Alexander, just the man! You’ve brought this upon yourself. You once held my daughter in such low regard.
亚历山大爵士 求您别再说了,爵士。 SIR ALEXANDER: Don’t speak so, Sir.
盖伊爵士 一个名门闺秀在您眼里竟如此低贱,现在好了,恭喜您娶了个穿马裤的儿媳!您很快就要抱上一群“咆哮”的孙子孙女了,这对充实伦敦城郊的人口倒是大有裨益。 SIR GUY: A poor gentlewoman you deemed worthless; now your household is shamed. Congratulations—you’ve taken a girl in breeches as a daughter-in-law! Soon you’ll be a grandfather to a pack of “roaring” grandchildren. That will surely swell the population of the suburbs.
亚历山大爵士 噢,别拿我的痛苦开玩笑!伤口该是包扎愈合的,而不是任由嘲弄的空气灌入其中。 SIR ALEXANDER: Oh, do not mock the anguish of my heart! A wound should be bound and healed, not left open to the mockery of the air.
盖伊爵士 慈悲是给值得的人准备的。当初我女儿钟情于您儿子时,若我在您身上看到过半点善意,我此刻本会帮您。但现在我看透了:您那苍老的心灰里,既埋没了火种,也熄灭了善良。 SIR GUY: Who wastes mercy on the unworthy? When my daughter cherished your son, had I seen a trace of goodness in you, I might even have helped. But your worn weak has buried its fire and quenched its light.
亚历山大爵士 不要脸的东西!我儿子在哪儿?这就是你的结婚礼服? SIR ALEXANDER: Shameless creature! Where is my son? Is this your wedding gown?
戈肖克 爵士,宽心吧,没有哪个牧师会给一个穿男装的女人主持婚礼。您儿子肯定是虚晃一枪,另有所爱了。 GOSHAWK: Relax, sir. No priest would marry her in that disguise. Your son must have other intentions.
亚历山大爵士【如获重生】 只要不是她,无论他娶谁我都祝福!哪怕那姑娘穷得只有一身内衣作嫁妆,我也愿意。贫穷往往更知足,比起那个“咆哮女郎”,他选谁都不会错! SIR ALEXANDER: (Relieved) As long as it’s not her, I’ll bless him no matter who he marries! Even if the girl is so poor that she only has her underwear as a dowry, I’d still be happy for him. Poor people are often more content, and compared to that “roating girl,” he can’t go wrong with anyone else!
【塞巴斯蒂安牵着戴面具的莫尔上。】 (Sebastian enters leading Moll, who is masked.)
亚历山大爵士 看!新娘来了!多么健美的身段,简直就像他母亲当年一样。 SIR ALEXANDER: See—they have arrived! What a fine, comely figure; just like his mother.
塞巴斯蒂安 父亲,请恕我先斩后奏之罪。 SEBASTIAN: Father, I kneel to ask your forgiveness for my fault.
亚历山大爵士 我早已原谅你了!快,让朋友们向新娘致意,揭开她的面具吧! SIR ALEXANDER: I forgive you already! Rise; let our friends salute the bride. Unmask her!
【面具揭开。所有人惊呼:又是莫尔!】 (The mask is removed. Everyone cries: Moll!)
亚历山大爵士 噢,我的耻辱又活过来了!我非得活着被这场景戳瞎眼睛吗? SIR ALEXANDER: Oh, my revived shame! Must I live to be blinded by this?
莫尔 哟,您这是怎么了?是乐过头了吗?我有这么个“好汉”儿媳,您该自豪才是。以后您走在街上,谁也不敢动您的口袋! MOLL: Oh, what’s the matter? Overjoyed? You should be proud of a daughter-in-law that is as “bold” as your son. No rogue will dare touch your purse now!
【最终,真正的玛丽·菲茨阿拉德在诺兰勋爵陪同下登场。】(Finally, the real Mary Fitzallard appears, accompanied by Lord Nolan.)
塞巴斯蒂安 原谅我,父亲。之前我只是佯装要娶莫尔,其实我心中始终只有玛丽。 SEBASTIAN: Forgive me, father; I only feigned my love for Moll to show you that my heart truly belonged to Mary.
亚历山大爵士【狂喜】 天上的福祉啊!相比这份无边的慰藉,我之前的痛苦算得了什么! SIR ALEXANDER: Eternal blessings! Compared with this boundless solace, my brief grief is now insignificant!

【第五部分:莫尔的谢幕独白】
(Part V: Moll’s Epilogue)

莫尔 曾有一位画师,想画一幅完美的女子肖像。路人对他百般挑剔:眉毛太高、鼻子太短、唇色太淡…… MOLL: A painter once created a portrait of a woman. Passersby scrutinized it: eyebrows too high, nose too short, lips too pale…

莫尔 画师为了取悦每一个人,不断修改。最终挂出来的画却变得拙劣、怪诞且丑陋,成了全城的笑柄。 MOLL: Hoping to please everyone, he changed every part. But the finished work became so grotesque that everyone laughed at his folly.

莫尔 我们这出戏亦是如此。若我们为了迎合每一种古怪的口味去编排剧情,就会像那画师一样,最终谁也取悦不了。无论是作家的笔误,还是演员的疏忽,皆请海涵。若您心中尚存一丝欢愉,便请以此为号:以掌声,唤“咆哮女郎”再次来到你们面前! MOLL: We fear this comedy is the same. If we arranged the plot to satisfy every unique taste, we would, like that painter, please no one. For the faults of wit or acting, we crave your pardon. If you find joy in us, give us this signal: with your applause, call the “Roaring Girl” forth once more!

【全剧终 | CURTAIN】

)(*)(

关于《咆哮女郎》| About The Roaring Girl

《咆哮女郎》由雅各宾时代的两位剧作巨匠托马斯·米德尔顿 与托马斯·德克尔于约1611年联合创作。这出精彩的“城市喜剧”以塞巴斯蒂安·温格雷夫为夺回真爱而设下的爱情骗局为核心,但其真正的灵魂人物是历史上真实存在的莫尔·卡普丝。莫尔不仅在剧中穿梭于伦敦的士绅、市民与黑帮之间,更以她那惊世骇俗的男装打扮、过人的剑术以及对社会虚伪的犀利洞察,成为一个跨越阶层的正义化身。即便身处 2026年,这部剧作依然具有极其重要的现实意义:它不仅是戏剧史上对性别认同 和穿衣自由最早且最强力的辩护之一,更深刻地探讨了在高度物质化的社会中,个体应如何保持道德的纯洁与独立。莫尔这一超越时代的“酷儿”先驱形象,至今仍激发着关于身份表达、社会阶层与女性权力的全球性对话。
The Roaring Girl, co-authored by Jacobean masters Thomas Middleton and Thomas Dekker circa 1611, is a vibrant “city comedy” centered on Sebastian Wengrave’s elaborate ruse to secure his true love. However, the play is truly defined by its titular figure, the historical Moll Cutpurse. Navigating the shifting boundaries between London’s gentry, merchant class, and underworld, Moll is a sword-wielding, cross-dressing force of nature who challenges every societal hypocrisy she encounters. In 2026, this play remains vital as one of the earliest and most powerful defenses of gender expression and personal autonomy in Western drama. It continues to resonate today by exploring how individuals maintain moral integrity within a materialistic society. Moll’s legacy as a queer pioneer and a defiant icon of self-definition ensures that the play remains at the forefront of modern discussions regarding identity, social class, and the subversion of patriarchal norms

NOTES.

[1] “Enjoy” in French implies sexual pleasure here.

[2] “Safeguard” 一种骑马时遮在裙子外的护裙。(A type of protective skirt worn over a dress while riding a horse.)

[3] 指决斗后饶命。(Referring to sparing someone’s life after a duel.)

[4] Jades,驽马/放荡女人。(A weak horse / a loose woman.)

[5] Viol,当时常被称为胯间提琴 (It was often referred to as a violin held between the legs.)

[6] 地狱看门狗 (Hellhound)

[7] (Sexual double entendre for duel preparation/ undressing.)

[8] 调情 (Flirted with.)

[9] 讽刺 (Sarcasm.)

[10] Codpiece: a pouch attached to the front of a man’s breeches to cover the genitals, worn in the 15th and 16th centuries. The more outlandish the better.

[11] Michaelmas term.

[12] 指求饶或哭喊. (Refers to begging for mercy or crying out.)

[13] 伍德街监狱 (Wood Street Prison.)

[14] 指法警 (Refers to a bailiff.)

[15] Double entendre on “cut lax” or “cut-a-lass.”

[16] 捕人 (Arresting someone.)

[17] 意为绞刑吏或挂件 (Meaning executioner or hangman.)

[18] Bailiffs.

[19] 指性行为中的体位 (Refers to positions used during sexual intercourse.)

[20] 挂得好/吊得好 (Hung well / Suspended well.)

[21] 老花镜 (Reading glasses.)

[22] Double-stopping/ Fingerwork.

[23] 指心碎 (Refers to heartbreak.)

[24] 莫尔会一直纠缠塞巴斯蒂安 (Moll will continue to pester Sebastian.)

[25] Prick-song. Note: “Prick” was a common bawdy pun in Elizabethan theater.

[26] 钓鱼偷窃 Bait-and-Switch.

[27] 可能是假币或标志币 Possibly counterfeit or marked coins.

[28] 亚历山大 Referring to Alexander.

[29] Removed from text: 误以为我在这种地方学琴 (I was mistakenly thought to be learning piano in a place like this.)

[30] 双关:一种酷刑/性体位 Another double entendre: a form of torture/ a sexual position.

[31] 挂得好/吊得好 (Hung well / Suspended well.)

[32] 暗指男人都会主动追求她 It implies that men will actively pursue her.

[33] 当时著名的游乐场 Pimlico was a famous brothel at the time.

[34] 黑话 Canting.

[35] 黑话,指行房 Slang term referring to sexual intercourse.

[36] Note from original text: “【职业扒手登场,莫尔开启“百科全书”模式。】”(A professional pickpocket makes an appearance, and Moll switches into “encyclopedia mode.”)

[37] 扒手Fingerman,pickpocket.

[38] 扒窃界的潜规则Figging Law.

age difference anal sex Armenia Armenian Genocide Armenian translation ars poetica art artist unknown blow job Chinese translation conversations with imaginary sisters cum cunnilingus drama erotic erotica erotic poem erotic poetry Federico Garcia Lorca fellatio finger fucking free verse ghost ghost girl ghost lover gif Gyumri haiku homoerotic homoerotica Humor i'm spilling more thank ink y'all incest Lilith Lord Byron Love shall make us a threesome masturbation more than just spilled ink more than spilled ink mythology ocean mythology Onna bugeisha orgasm Peace Corps photo poem Poetry Portuguese Portuguese translation prose quote unquote reblog retelling Rumi Sappho sea folklore Shakespeare sheismadeinpoland sonnet sorrow Spanish Spanish translation spilled ink story Taoist Pirate rituals Tarot Tarot of Syssk thank you threesome Titus Andronicus translation video Walt Whitman woman warrior xenomorph

electric mayhem [links]

  • poesia erótica (português)
  • armenian erotica and news
  • sandra bernhard
  • aimee mann
  • Poetic K [myspace]
  • cyndi lauper
  • discos bizarros argentinos

Meta

  • Create account
  • Log in
  • Entries feed
  • Comments feed
  • WordPress.com

Blog Stats

  • 389,846 hits

Categories

ars poetica: the blogs a-b

  • tiel aisha ansari
  • afterglow
  • aliki barnstone
  • margaret bashaar
  • clair becker
  • all things said and done
  • lynn behrendt
  • sommer browning
  • Alcoholic Poet
  • american witch
  • armenian poetry project
  • megan burns
  • emma bolden
  • black satin
  • afghan women's writing project
  • wendy babiak
  • alzheimer's poetry project
  • sandra beasley
  • the art blog
  • stacy blint
  • mary biddinger
  • cecilia ann
  • brilliant books
  • kristy bowen

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 44 other subscribers

Archives

ars poetica: the blogs c-d

  • maria damon
  • lorna dee cervantes
  • flint area writers
  • CRB
  • juliet cook
  • jennifer k. dick
  • abigail child
  • natalia cecire
  • roberto cavallera
  • cheryl clark
  • linda lee crosfield
  • michelle detorie
  • cleveland poetics
  • jackie clark
  • lyle daggett
  • julie carter

ars poetica: the blogs e-h

  • Free Minds Book Club
  • jeannine hall gailey
  • herstoria
  • jane holland
  • carol guess
  • joy harjo
  • hayaxk (ՀԱՅԱՑՔ)
  • ghosts of zimbabwe
  • julie r. enszer
  • liz henry
  • sarah wetzel fishman
  • joy garnett
  • maggie may ethridge
  • elisa gabbert
  • carrie etter
  • maureen hurley
  • jessica goodfellow
  • human writes
  • pamela hart
  • amanda hocking
  • bernardine evaristo
  • Gabriela M.
  • elizabeth glixman

ars poetica: the blogs i-l

  • sandy longhorn
  • renee liang
  • emily lloyd
  • laila lalami
  • Jaya Avendel
  • dick jones
  • diane lockward
  • donna khun
  • meg johnson
  • irene latham
  • miriam levine
  • a big jewish blog
  • sheryl luna
  • amy king
  • IEPI
  • Kim Whysall-Hammond
  • joy leftow
  • lesley jenike
  • language hat
  • las vegas poets organization
  • lesbian poetry archieves
  • kennifer kilgore-caradec
  • gene justice
  • charmi keranen
  • megan kaminski
  • maggie jochild

ars poetica: the blogs m-o

  • motown writers
  • michigan writers network
  • mlive: michigan poetry news
  • michigan writers resources
  • new issues poetry & prose
  • adrienne j. odasso
  • heather o'neill
  • My Poetic Side
  • ottawa poetry newsletter
  • caryn mirriam-goldberg
  • the malaysian poetic chronicles
  • michelle mc grane
  • wanda o'connor
  • iamnasra oman
  • january o'neil
  • Nanny Charlotte
  • nzepc
  • maud newton
  • sophie mayer
  • sharanya manivannan
  • marion mc cready
  • majena mafe

ars poetica: the blogs p-r

  • helen rickerby
  • nikki reimer
  • joanna preston
  • split this rock
  • maria padhila
  • rachel phillips
  • Queen Majeeda
  • sophie robinson
  • susan rich
  • kristin prevallet
  • nicole peyrafitte
  • ariana reines

ars poetica: the blogs s-z

  • tuesday poems
  • tim yu
  • sexy poets society
  • vassilis zambaras
  • switchback books
  • Stray Lower
  • womens quarterly conversation
  • ron silliman
  • southern michigan poetry
  • scottish poetry library
  • shin yu pai
  • Trista's Poetry

  • Subscribe Subscribed
    • memories of my ghost sista
    • Join 44 other subscribers
    • Already have a WordPress.com account? Log in now.
    • memories of my ghost sista
    • Subscribe Subscribed
    • Sign up
    • Log in
    • Report this content
    • View site in Reader
    • Manage subscriptions
    • Collapse this bar
 

Loading Comments...